All fixed and ready for summer

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote straks007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: All fixed and ready for summer
    Posted: 06 Apr 2014 at 3:58pm
straks007 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hi guys I have attached a few photos of our current boat that sadly has a rotten transom. We have finally made the decision to sell her as a project boat as me, Dad and the bro just don't have the time to fix her. The boat is a 5.5m Sea Nymph (Savage) Pacific and we have had it in the family for approx 5 yrs. It has a Suzuki DT85 outboard (unknown hrs) on the back that has been regularly serviced and the boat sits on a trailer that was completely stripped and re-galved a couple of years ago. These hulls are well respected and well designed to handle the rough stuff.

I had the repair quoted by Steve Pennington Boat Builders (North Shore) and he said to fix the transom would cost $2850 (incl GST) and $200 (plus GST) for removal and refitting of the outboard.

The question I have for you guys and gals is what is she worth in her current state. As said earlier we are selling it as a project boat so someone is either going to pay the professionals or fix it themselves.  

The boat will also be sold with two 25l tote tanks, fish finder, GPS, anchor (rope + chain) new rego and warrant and probably some other bits and pieces.

Any advice you guys can offer will be greatly appreciatedThumbs Up .

Of note it may pay other skippers who own boats from this era to check their transoms as Steve told me it is a common problem in boats from the late 70s early 80s. Luckily I found the issue when the boat was parked up in my driveway and not when I was out the back of Tiri.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sappercatcha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2014 at 4:08pm
sappercatcha View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

most money will be the outboard and trailer as the boat has a rotten backend so you never know what else is hidden
would be a great boat if someone is able to fix her up cant comment on value but...
keep up the good work boys
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Slick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2014 at 4:34pm
Slick View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

5-8k cant see it being worth much more than that, working and sea worthy its a 10k boat
People say if fishing was easy then it would be called catching, I say these people who say that obviously had a bad day's fishing.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rahui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2014 at 5:21pm
rahui View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

you would get more if you fixed it your self, probably 10k, good luck getting 5 k for it, people will talk the price down as they are taking on the risk. Just be very transparent about the issues if on selling

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote straks007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2014 at 5:25pm
straks007 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Thanks guys for the comments so far.

Rahui I wish we had the time to fix her mate as it has been a good boat, but me and the bro have got young families that take up most of our spare time. Any potential buyers will be fully informed.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jamsie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2014 at 5:59pm
jamsie View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Looks good bro....I'm going to miss her
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote straks007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2014 at 7:41pm
straks007 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

BumpThumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2014 at 7:54pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

list it to what you think it is worth,can always come down but hard to go up.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Betty Boop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2014 at 8:02pm
Betty Boop View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Having recently done a full transom job for a client/friend, I feel 5k plus is the figure, however it's not till it's opened up that you find the actual extent of the laminate failure.....I'm willing to oversee the repair, if you wish to rebuild it yourselves as it looks a nice rig......cheersThumbs Up
Last week I joined an Anti-Social support group........They won't talk to me!

Papamoa
fi-Glass Viscount
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote straks007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2014 at 8:11pm
straks007 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hi Walu, I wish we had the time to fix her mate but sadly its just not an option. I used to be a chippie and would have really enjoyed giving the job a crack.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote straks007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2014 at 10:22am
straks007 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Anymore ideas on price or advice guys.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2014 at 10:52am
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I went through something similar recently, with a boat that needed work.  I cut my losses and sold it and got something else.  I'm now very happy, but it was painful at the time.  Realistically it's worth whatever someone is willing to give you for it, which will probably be less than you hope.  If you take the value of it in good condition, less the cost of repair, less a couple of grand for the hassle of getting it fixed that should be around the "value".  But whether you find someone willing to take it on is another thing.

The decision you have to make is whether to sell as one unit or if you would get more for the motor and hull separately, or even split it all down and sell the parts then put the bare hull up on trademe for $1 reserve.  That sounds drastic, but could give you the most $$.  Easiest is to just list as-is on trademe and see if anyone is willing to take it on as a project.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote straks007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2014 at 11:06am
straks007 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hi Kevin I appreciate the advice given mate. I thought about breaking it down and selling it as bits and pieces but to be honest I just want the thing gone now. I'm leaning towards "as is" on Trademe and may even list the whole thing as a $1 reserve. I know someone would be happy with this as a project as the trailer, hull and motor are in great condition for their age and its just the transom that needs the attention. Cheers.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rahui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2014 at 11:25am
rahui View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

what a shame you don,t have time to do it your self. I would pay the 3 k to get it done and then put it on trade m for 13k
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote straks007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2014 at 11:45am
straks007 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Yep that's another option Rahui. The old man was keen to fix it but me and the bro talked him out of it, may have to relook at that option again.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rahui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2014 at 11:45pm
rahui View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

yeah mate, it is a nice boat and you will get good money for it once she is re kitted,
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote family affair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2014 at 9:40pm
family affair View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Fix it bro worth way more later like triple the amount nice looking rig man
mv maui
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote straks007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2014 at 8:06pm
straks007 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Cheers FA
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cosmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2014 at 9:15pm
cosmo View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

probably easier to take the motor off yrself and get the guy to do a good repair and then sell, project boats very very limited market and they want them for a song...............fully functioning boat and you don't have to worry about the state of repairs huge market and you ll get yr money
i just want to go fishing..........amd ignore all my adult problems
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote straks007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2014 at 8:19pm
straks007 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Thanks for the advice CosmoThumbs Up. Im now heavily leaning towards the option of repairing it to her former glory and then flicking her.
Page  12>