New Prop

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote futech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Prop
    Posted: 07 Jul 2014 at 9:38pm
futech View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Right so i have had a near new prop put onto my engine as we are doing some test into what one is best for the boat. I brought the boat home straight after fitment. I thought i better check it before i go out and found that i can move the whole prop about 8-10mm side to side. I called the workshop up and was told that it was ok as it has a split thrust washer that takes up when in gear. Or something like that. They told me its ok to go out and sea trial it but i am still a little concerned. Ill try and attach the video of it here. Anyone with any experience could you please advise me if this is correct. Im just really worried that im going to blow my gearbox out as its a brand new engine. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RC1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2014 at 9:52pm
RC1 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

propeller is loose on the shaft, needs to be tightened correctly to correct torque and new split pin fitted to secure prop nut.  If you use the motor like that you could break the propeller shaft. Take it back and get them to tighten the propeller, not good for a new motor.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2014 at 9:54pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I know f all but doesn't look right to me. looks like it needs another thrust washer or something to hold it on the spine better. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote futech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2014 at 10:00pm
futech View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Well thats what i thought also, but the nut is tight by the looks of it. I also sent them the video just to see if i was right but they were adamant that it would be ok. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RC1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2014 at 10:26pm
RC1 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I can tell it is loose by the video, nut needs to tightened at least half a turn.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote futech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2014 at 10:28pm
futech View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Is there a torque setting for this nut? If so ill do it myself and recheck to see if its right. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Durban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2014 at 10:31pm
Durban View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Krow is correct if it does not have another thrust washer behind the prop it will sit loose on the spline there are 2 one in front & one at the back this is for Johnson motors check your gearbox specs .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2014 at 9:51am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I have a very similar prop on our Johnson bombardier  4 blade stiletto II...
Absolute magic economical , good cruise, maneuverable prop..

The Johnson has 2 methods of locking the nut....not sure which that model of bombardier has..
1/ like a axle nut on a car or trailer wheel....spacer/ thrust washer on at rear, that fits on a machined shoulder....  then the prop, then a washer that fits in the spline, then the castle nut, torqued up to remove all end play (not centrifical  play as per video)  then split pin
2/ Same as above, thrust washer, prop, washer lock washer nut   as u have... these are torqued up with a block of wood between the cavitation plate and prop...

If either of these are loose, they sit on machined splines, there should be no play on the splines... which means tighten up the nut more will not make any difference

I have replaced my prop so many times...I cant actually rem if there is any centifical movement... and is currently in the workshop for full annual service.
Thats does seem a lot thu....Any play like that will be in the setup of the gear gear box... like setting up a gears in a diff in a car...which have a spec as to the amount of 'float'
So has nothing to do with the prop as far as I can see or understand.

If u can pull on it  and have movement the Prop nut has not been torqued up , it is the wrong prop for the engine , or wrong thrust washer or top washer for that  prop.....It maybe a Prop from a different brand (merc or suzi whatever) which I believe one can use by also using different thickness rear thrust washer and/ or spacer washers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote futech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2014 at 6:21pm
futech View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Yeah, iv'e been a mechanic for 25 years now and it didn't seem right to me. But when someone in that industry is saying yes its ok to be like that i do have to question it. Once the weather is better ill go and look at it myself. It looked like the nut was tight. Looks to me that it hasnt got the right thrust washer or something like that. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2014 at 10:31am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Do a google, u will find manuals  etc for both with expanded parts diagrams
If it has a hole for a castle nut/ split pin , I would suspect then the tag washer u have could be wrong???
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kings Marine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2014 at 2:06pm
Kings Marine View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Looks like a Mercury by the paint on the gear case, so yes this is correct
they have an issue with the Mercury prop bush system being too harsh, so they made the bush "loose" on purpose to try and reduce the harshness from the prop.
you can fit the "old" style bush to reduce the free play.

The Mighty Waikato
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Kings-Marine/100476476662857?%3Fref=ts
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote futech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2014 at 10:44pm
futech View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

So Kings Marine, you reckon this will be ok? Yes it is a merc.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kings Marine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2014 at 11:35am
Kings Marine View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Yes all o.k.
I know it defies logic a bit when you look at how the prop is "loose" and can move on the shaft, but this is how Mercury have had to do it to try and stop the noise problems on the engine.

The Mighty Waikato
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Kings-Marine/100476476662857?%3Fref=ts
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cossack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2014 at 8:11pm
cossack View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I know damn all really but you won't get me going off our coast anywhere with a set up like that! Yes it defies logic! It also defies all engineering good sense!! My 2 cents worth? Just don't!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Raging Bull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2014 at 9:36pm
Raging Bull View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt
Big Sexy

Google "Mercury flo torq adapters" might be able to help you reduce the play.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fizz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2014 at 5:45pm
Fizz View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Just found this thread , I've just gone through exactly the same thing this morning with my setup.
Optimax 150 just swapped fom 17p to 15p. Didn't think to check play when removing old one but got a fright when I installed the new one. Rang the shop and yep sure enough reassured this is a normal thing for mercury.
Still being suspect I had a wander round the boat storage yard giving the mercury engined boats props a wiggle and whattya know, they all doing it.
Feeling a little more relaxed now but jeez not the most inspiring way to solve problems.
Boat Name- Solace
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote futech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2014 at 10:44am
futech View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Right so i had the boat back at the shop to get the prop right. Got them to take it out and found that the Rev4 15p was making the engine over rev. So they have gone back to a rev 17p. Not sure if there is still play in it as i havent yet got the boat back. Get this. Brand new merc 150 opti, done 18 hours and in the shop with a fault. Some sort of misfire but not a misfire at around 1200rpm, once out of this area runs sweet. Mechanics have spent $4500 in labour trying to solve the problem and had mercury themselves involved. After 6 weeks and a lot of parts swapping and "adjustments" they are now putting another engine on. **** me. Traded in my running engine for a new one to have some reliability and economy and this happens. They offered me a 4 stroke but the price difference was to much for me to go with. Fingers crossed this "new" model is ok. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fizz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2014 at 1:01pm
Fizz View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

sucks about he misfire thing. 
as for the prop sounds exactly like what I'm going through at the moment, was originally running a 17p rev 4 which was mint until i moved down to tauranga and now we fish pretty heavily loaded so tried out the 15p to bring the rpm up , only to have it over rev now. going back to the 17 p unless the shop can find something in between for me to try.
17p = 5150 wide open with our normal load on board
15p = rev limiter

oh and as for the wobbly prop- after speaking to a few mercury people i took to the aft adapter and shaved 3mm off the length of it. this allows it to travel into the rubber hub fully therefore seating it properly and eliminating the almost 10mm of movement the propellor had exactly like in that video you posted

Boat Name- Solace
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nzmuzza69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2014 at 7:18pm
nzmuzza69 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Should have got a yammie
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote futech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2014 at 7:51pm
futech View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Yamaha has problems to dude. If i could have afforded it i would have got a 4 stroke Suzuki or Honda but the price difference is horrendous. Even the 4 stroke Merc is 6k more. On a good note the latest 150 opti that they are putting on is now 3k more than i paid for mine. Ill see if the prop they put back on has the play or not. If yes ill probably do what you have done.  
Page  12>