Fitting power tilt trim to 2 stroke Merc 30hp?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fitting power tilt trim to 2 stroke Merc 30hp?
    Posted: 15 Jul 2014 at 8:07pm
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I have a 2013 Mercury (Tohatsu) 30hp with electric start and remotes.  At the time of purchase a year ago getting a 30hp with tilt and trim was very expensive and did not want expense.  Since then I have missed this and am wondering if possible to fit power tilt and trim to motor - this model does does not come with this option from factory when new. 
Googling power tilt & trim - CMC make a model PT-35 power tilt and trim unit in the US that fits between motor and transom (so motor is an additional 5 inches from transom) which is rated for 35HP.  Unit weighs 24 pounds and includes wiring and trim switch.  This is installed by user and looks like can be landed for $800-900 NZD imported from ebay or similar site (plus GST and duty if applicable?).

Are there any other products like this available in NZ or have you tried the PT 35?
Cheers
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote flyfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2014 at 8:16pm
flyfisher View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Don't Panther make a cheaper and more polished PTT than CMC? You maybe better off selling the M30 (as excellent as they are) and buying the Merc 30 (US built) with the PTT built-in? I went down this route years ago on a Mac360 and just put it in the too expensive basket... so brought a new boat instead!

https://www.youtube.com/user/troutboynz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Durban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2014 at 9:27pm
Durban View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

If your model no is MFS30B Tohatsu, then your port & starboard clamp brackets can accommodate a PTT.
the merc 30hp[ tohatsu] the other option you can try is change the port& starboard brackets & yoke fit the 2006 model one.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2014 at 4:51am
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks for your replies.
Had a look - Panther make a power trim only for Johnson and Evrinrude - unit is neater and simpler and priced  same as PT by CMC (on Cabalas website).  I have asked Panther if they make one for Merc.
Will check if model number is MFS30B Tohatsu - CMC have said will fit. 
Have anyone purchased product from Cabalas?
If I go ahead will not fit for a while will update then. cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lemmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2014 at 6:07am
lemmy View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Brought in heaps of gear from Cabela,s great company to deal with as sound as a pound.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2014 at 7:53am
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks Lemmy.
Flyfisher - checked out Panther they have a unit that will do job - does look better finished than CMC which looks agricultural - Tenob in NZ sell this panther unit described as OU404 40HP Electric Trim & Tilt bracket $1199 NZD incl GST - quite a bit but if I want the convenience....Amazon in US have for $569 US but when shipping, duty and GST taken into account I suspect Tenob won't be far off and warranty.consumer guarantees act applies and handled by NZ agent which will be a better option I think?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Norseman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2014 at 4:14am
Norseman View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Looking on the Bass Pro web site and they list the Panther model 55 and it says "For outboards from 15 to 55 hp, weighing up to 250 lbs", doesn't mention anything about it being "only for Johnson and Evrinrude" outboards.

"Nothing is so strong as gentleness, nothing so gentle as real strength." St. Francis de Sales
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2014 at 6:04am
Titanium
Titanium

Yes is confusing - some websites imply unit is for Johnson and Evinrude outboards only - manufacturer of panther and CMC make it clear is universal - maybe these outboards are popular in US?
I have ordered Panther unit and will fit in August - will update post with some pictures then.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Roofless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2014 at 4:37pm
Roofless View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hey mate iv got a panther trim/tilt on my frewza 4.1 you are more than welcome to come around and check out mine and see what iv done pm me for details ...
shane
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2014 at 6:09pm
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks Roofless will PM you.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2014 at 5:39pm
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks Roofless - saw his boat (man he is a serious fisho) last Monday and panther power tilt trim unit fitted to his 30hp Suzuki - good to see how it works and appreciate your advice (fill up grease nipple in ram before installing unit - as his went noisy after a short while and you have to remove everything to get at grease nipple and appeared very dry from factory and to check installation carefully particularly if someone else doing for you easy to stuff up).
Am buying and installing next week - will post photos when done. Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2014 at 1:09pm
Titanium
Titanium

Picked up boat on Thursday and took out today with new Panther Power Trim Unit fitted.  Thanks to Glen at West Auckland Marine who fitted unit and is also an agent for Tenob Marine who bring  in from US.
Here's a photo of installed unit - note my finger at bottom of picture pointing towards a Johnson Tilt Trim switch fitted to engine cowling by Glen

Here's a picture of remote control at front with tilt trim switch now fitted on Throttle assembly by Glen.

Took boat out for first time with Power Trim fitted at Cornwallis today - SE 10kts (5kts variable forecast) and small chop - easy to start and leave beach now, noticed straight away boat a lot better into chop as able to trim bow down to punch through chop rather than pounding, able to go faster than before.  Following sea able to trim bow up to stop boat digging in - got some cavitation when motor trimmed to far out - then realised I was probably travelling 10Kph faster than I would have been able to before power trim fitted.  Need to use a bit to get used to it and what it can do.
Has really rounded boat off nicely - I should have opted for Power Trim when buying motor new last year but did not as expensive at the time - I would go as far to say that boat with manual trim = hopeless compared to with Trim.
Thanks to Glen & West Akld Marine for a great professional job.  Cheers.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rusty360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2014 at 8:56pm
rusty360 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

hey mate this looks interesting. what was the cost of the unit before fitting?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2014 at 9:13pm
Titanium
Titanium

Not cheap Rusty 360 see my post dated 16 July above details - $1200incl from Tenob marine in NZ - made in US - if you can buy over there and get someone to bring over would save a bit. That said to buy outboard new with power tilt trim costs as well.