SIMRAD NSS Evo 2

Page  123>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Saltiga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SIMRAD NSS Evo 2
    Posted: 04 Aug 2014 at 10:13am
Saltiga View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Looking to up grade the current Simrads we are running to the evo2 series,

Anyone running the Evo2 series?
whats your thoughts?
Issues?
can you run 2 monitors? one for depth sounder other, chart ? as i don't like split screens. 

look to run it with a Airmar transom mount TM260 1KW 

the Bathy charts on them are outstanding and alot detailed

be interested in any information from who ever has been running them. 

cheers 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mattyroo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2014 at 12:17pm
mattyroo View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

These are what I'm looking at for my new boat.

I have done quite a bit of research, mainly looking at 3 brands; Simrad, Raymarine and Furuno.

Furuno has been left behind in some ways by the other two. I like the flexibility of the Czone system, so, for me that is one of the main reasons I chose Simrad over Raymarine.

Yes, you can have multiple screens, up to 5 i think. I haven't decided whether I will have a second screen, or just a TV on a swivel that remotes the image of the main unit. You then have a remote out on deck to operate and control the main screen. Lose the functionality of multiple control, but saves cost and I will also have sat TV that connects to the standard screen.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2014 at 12:38pm
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Sam.. yes you can run multiple screens. been a few problems with deep water reading with 1kw trans using the BSM-1 AND BSM-2 sounder modules, they have just bought out BSM-3 to try and remedy some issues. I believe the  problems has more to do with Chirp transducers rather than standard models though.
Check out "The Hull Truth" electronics section for some indepth reviews etc
Simrad seem very popular now so they must be doing something right, although Furuno leave all other sounders for dead( their plotters arent that easy to use though and Garmin,lowrance ,simrad are way ahead here, for ease of use and chart definition)
www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote katamoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2014 at 12:59pm
katamoto View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Ive been running a nss evo2 7inch with tm260 and structure scan hd for a few month now and absolutely love. Interface is well designed and very easy to use, screen is top notch, colours are very good, you can watch movies on it if you want to...
For me personally one screen is not enough so I will be adding another 7inch soon

I find that screen does get bit dirty at the end of the fishing trip but all comes off easy and I haven't got a single scratch on my unit.

When buying it I was choosing between the hds7 and evo2 I went with evo2, it felt like its just better build, plastic higher quality and the and the unit itself is more solid, plus the navigational nob is awesome.

I run navionics platinum heaps of details and it all works great.

Cheers.
Arthur
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote the angler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2014 at 5:39pm
the angler View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

They do look sharp , I'm looking at them too .
Can't run the dual ™ 265 and 275 Tranys with out the expensive bsm 3 but dual thru hull chirp transducers with a switch is the poor mans option , would rather put the 3+ k towards auto pilot .
Looking at the garmins too but bang for buck the simrad is hard to beat on paper.

Edit : being fibreglass there are more thru hull options than are available for alis at the moment.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote the angler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2014 at 5:42pm
Titanium
Titanium

Do like furuno but there charts are pathetic .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pirate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2014 at 7:24pm
pirate View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by the angler the angler wrote:

They do look sharp , I'm looking at them too .
Can't run the dual ™ 265 and 275 Tranys with out the expensive bsm 3 but dual thru hull chirp transducers with a switch is the poor mans option , would rather put the 3+ k towards auto pilot .
Looking at the garmins too but bang for buck the simrad is hard to beat on paper.

Edit : being fibreglass there are more thru hull options than are available for alis at the moment.

Big step up from your black n white 300w hummingbird bro are you ready for that kind of technology?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Saltiga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2014 at 7:41pm
Saltiga View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Can anyone confirm if this unit does 3D scanning ?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote katamoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2014 at 8:03pm
katamoto View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Saltiga Saltiga wrote:

What do you mean by 3d scaning ? Like down imaging and side imaging ?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Saltiga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2014 at 8:13pm
Saltiga View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by katamoto katamoto wrote:

yeah 3D imaging, im assuming that is the structure scan on the unit??
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote daveo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2014 at 8:14pm
daveo View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Been looking at the 12 myself. From what I have heard they seem to be getting some good reviews.

If you want to run 2 screens you can also use your ipad for a secondary screen if you dont want 2 full units
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote the angler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2014 at 8:20pm
Titanium
Titanium

That could be the go just get one of them ipad holders , prob get a rail blazer or the like mounting I expect.
Think you need the bsm box to utilise structure scan....??? Anyone know?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2014 at 8:32pm
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Originally posted by katamoto katamoto wrote:

yeah 3D imaging, im assuming that is the structure scan on the unit??

Yes evo2 has built in sidevu and downvu, you can also add a sonar hub
www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote phoenyx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2014 at 8:43pm
phoenyx View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

the new evo2 is brilliant far exceeds the hds series been having a play at FCO they had both.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote katamoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2014 at 8:47pm
katamoto View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

downvu and sidevu is hummingbird, im simrad world its called down imaging and side imaging. And yes you can run a structure scan HD transducer without any extra bsm units. I personally run evo2 with tm260 and structure scan hd, all works great and can be viewed at the same time.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Captn Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2014 at 7:47am
Captn Phil View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

All going according to plan, we should have the full monty Evo2  installed on 'Reel Life' very soon. You're more than welcome to come out and have a play with it. 
Taking sportfishing charters to the next level.
Blue Water Adventures Ltd
Whangaroa / Bay of Islands
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote the angler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2014 at 7:59am
Titanium
Titanium

Are you adding auto pilot ? ,
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote katamoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2014 at 9:24am
katamoto View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

If adding a tablet (ipad or similar) it will not work as an extra screen. It only allows you to remotely see and cotrol the existing unit.
Also from research that ive done it looks like resolution remains the same and does not get up scaled on the tablet.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Saltiga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2014 at 12:20pm
Saltiga View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Captn Phil Captn Phil wrote:

All going according to plan, we should have the full monty Evo2  installed on 'Reel Life' very soon. You're more than welcome to come out and have a play with it. 

what transducer you going to run it on??

TM260?

what are others running for there transducer??
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Captn Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2014 at 8:19am
Captn Phil View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Still unsure on the transducer. Ive got a TM260 at the moment but i'm looking to see if there are better options.
Taking sportfishing charters to the next level.
Blue Water Adventures Ltd
Whangaroa / Bay of Islands
Page  123>