tachometer reading @1000 revs too high

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jackel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: tachometer reading @1000 revs too high
    Posted: 19 Aug 2014 at 9:54pm
jackel View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hi everyone, can someone tell me why my tacho in the boat has a reading of @1000rpm even when the engine is off, and then climbs from there? So total revs when running are approx 1000rpm over what they should be? Does it need adjusting to zero or something similar or hasnt it been wired correctly? Engine is elpto merc with factory guages. cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote flyfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2014 at 9:55pm
flyfisher View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

There should be a setting (dial with slotted head) on the back for 'poles' 2p, 4p, 6p, 8p etc. What is it currently set on and what is your engine hp and config 2 or 4 stroke?
https://www.youtube.com/user/troutboynz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fishwpa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2014 at 10:36pm
fishwpa View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

mine is the same - would like to know as well. I will check my setting tomorrow for my Merc 60hp 4 stroke.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote wayno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2014 at 10:55pm
wayno View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by fishwpa fishwpa wrote:

mine is the same - would like to know as well. I will check my setting tomorrow for my Merc 60hp 4 stroke.
Also have Merc 60hp 2 stroke and tacho sits on 1000 when motor off. Seems to read ok when running though so haven't given too much thought to it until I saw this. Will be interested to see how this pans out.

To be old and wise you must first be young and stupid.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote flyfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2014 at 11:15pm
flyfisher View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

On many tachs if you turn the motor off, the last recorded RPM will be displayed on the tacho (i.e. for me, usually about 800rpm as that is what the motor is doing when I turn the key off for the day) - this is normal I believe, cranking again or key to ON, should clear it back to zero.
https://www.youtube.com/user/troutboynz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2014 at 12:23am
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I have spent a bit of time on these Tachos as I got thru several used ones before buying new and that failed after a while - bummer!. Mercury Tacho on older motors (mine 2006 2 stroke) is very basic old design - has a switchable selector for number of cylinders - if wrong will give numbers right out if at all. Your selector will be correct if setup from new. Tacho sits on a thousand rpm or so power off, power on (key on) then shows zero and reads revs when motor running. When stuffed often first sign is power off reading stays high or lower than 1000rpm (have seen both), actual speed reading is adjustable by a pot thru slot in back and affects rpm reading by a lot mainly at top end - can try setting to idle 1000rpm or so (higher rpm small motor, lower rpm big motor) but accurate way is to check against another tacho and adjust at WOT (is fun try adjusting a small pot in back of tacho flat out - need a calm day) - I have an optical tachometer and can adjust accurately by flashing a dot stuck on flywheel - not a good idea in rough conditions! If stuffed buy aftermarket a lot cheaper I have bought a kus new from trade me can get in black with combined hour meter - same size hole and a fraction of OEM mercury price. Cheers
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2014 at 10:19am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Simplest way to check your tacho reading is on trade me for around $36  are small sealed digital tachos.... feed the wire into the engine and wind the end 3 or 4 times around a plug HT lead.
These are also programmed to set service time engine hrs etc
instructions in the box

they are accurate have tested against the  'dyno on tarmac' data logger in the chevy
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2014 at 3:30pm
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Good point steps about those small tachos - I forgot about those is a cheap and easy way of checking accuracy.
I did not go for one of them as I have a big hole in my dash where previous tacho was and wanted same size to fill, also I like looking at a dial.
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote funandfunction Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2014 at 7:16pm
funandfunction View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

The 2p,4p,6p,8p switch on the back of the tach can get a bit of corrosion on the contacts and make the tach over or under read. Rapidly switching backwards and forwards for 15 seconds or so can sort the problem.
There are two types of people in the world: those that divide people into two types and those that don't.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Polar_Kiwis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2014 at 8:49pm
Polar_Kiwis View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by funandfunction funandfunction wrote:

The 2p,4p,6p,8p switch on the back of the tach can get a bit of corrosion on the contacts and make the tach over or under read. Rapidly switching backwards and forwards for 15 seconds or so can sort the problem.

I also have a 60hp Merc efi. Sometimes it seems to over read while at say 4000 rpm. Maybe by 500-1000rpm. Do you think this could be the problem or something else?

Cheers

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote the angler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2014 at 9:37pm
the angler View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Steps Steps wrote:

Simplest way to check your tacho reading is on trade me for around $36  are small sealed digital tachos.... feed the wire into the engine and wind the end 3 or 4 times around a plug HT lead.
These are also programmed to set service time engine hrs etc
instructions in the box

they are accurate have tested against the  'dyno on tarmac' data logger in the chevy

Hey would these work on a diesel inboard ? And what's a ht lead?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Olfart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2014 at 10:40pm
Olfart View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Mike .... An HT lead is any one of the spark plug leads on your outboard.  
Semper in excreta sumus, solum profundum variat....

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote the angler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2014 at 10:56pm
the angler View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Oh , no good for me then I have neither...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote funandfunction Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2014 at 2:12pm
funandfunction View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Polar_Kiwis Polar_Kiwis wrote:

Originally posted by funandfunction funandfunction wrote:

I also have a 60hp Merc efi. Sometimes it seems to over read while at say 4000 rpm. Maybe by 500-1000rpm. Do you think this could be the problem or something else?

Cheers

I learnt the above from a Mercury mechanic who did it to my tach and fixed the problem. If you've got the older style gauge , have a look on the back.... think nothing to loose. Don't think this applies to the Smartcraft gauges.
There are two types of people in the world: those that divide people into two types and those that don't.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MikeAqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2014 at 3:59pm
MikeAqua View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I have also seen some advertised on TM that uses a sensor and a small magnet on the fly wheel.  No idea how good they are.

Originally posted by the angler the angler wrote:

Oh , no good for me then I have neither...