3.5 Smartwave vs 3.4 Hypalon RIB

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 3.5 Smartwave vs 3.4 Hypalon RIB
    Posted: 01 Sep 2014 at 11:32am
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Final call for help from the dinghy newbie.

Ok looks like the pain staking search is nearly over, we are down to 2 inbetweener dinghies which we will sell sometime in March when I will either be in position to buy a frewza or black dog cat, if not I plan to build a 4.5m nomad for a fraction of the cost.

1) 11.5ft Smartwave 2010 hull, 15hp 98 YAMAHA, TRAILER

2) 2007 11.5ft HYPALON RIB, 2007 Merc 15hp, Trailer.

Both come in at exactly the same price and within our budget. The rib is much newer in engine, but the smartwave is a much better practical boat for around the rocks. Both have stability.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2014 at 12:05pm
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Goods news Fiz Fisho - do you have any service records for the Yamaha? Has it been used regularly and flushed with fresh water after use? The merc 15hp will be a tohatsu which are made in Japan - good motors.
Sounds like you prefer the smartwave with Yamaha motor - what is state of trailer compared to Rib?
If motor a concern could make a lower offer for smartwave subject to check of motor by Yamaha dealer, as motor getting on but if okay now should last a year anyway? 9 years in age is a big difference. Cheers

Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2014 at 12:11pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

thanks mac, its been a frustrating long road with trademe sellers full of lies, no communication and down right mis representing the state of the item being sold.

luckily neither of these are on trademe and ive had a quick squizz in person.

i do prefer the smartwave, but do like the idea of a newer model donk. no records with the yamaha unfortunately, but it appears clean (as much as one can tell from the outside). Also the smartwave may require work on the trailer.

i do love inflatables, this particular model has more internal beam than most of the cheaper ribs as well as being hypalon (which isnt necessarily better depending on application). it is 86kg as is a glass hull, but that does provide advantage of a better ride and quieter.

both trailers are basic A frame bunk trailers, nothing to write home about, but for the price, if they last 1 year before i trade up, id be happy.

its just a boat to get out spearing over summer and putting out a setline and whilst in welli trying my luck at paua and crays.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MikeAqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2014 at 3:56pm
MikeAqua View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

If I was in your situation I would get the rib.

The rib will be nice for snorkelling out of and it has newer donk and based on your post a better trailer.

The smart wave only wins for setlining, and you can set line out of a rib if you are careful.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote flyfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2014 at 5:06pm
flyfisher View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Merc USA also made the 15hp in that era with the throttle and gear change on the tiller - have owned both, cracker engines both of em, but the US version is much quieter and smother (cros flow vs Loop), but less grunt - as the Tohatsu/Merc 15hp is actually a derated Tohatsu 18hp.

I'd go the Smartwave over that RIB personally, and I also doubt you'd have much issue with a yammie of that era either, lovely smooth, reliable engines as well.
https://www.youtube.com/user/troutboynz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2014 at 5:20pm
OneWayTraffic View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

The Smartwave would last longer, but if you're only planning to keep for half a year then it won't much matter. Unlikely trailer or motor issues will crop up in that time either. 

Get the one the wife prefers.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2014 at 8:36pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

well good to know either is a good choice. the newer engine we may even keep if we only end up with an fc390.

still sorting both out, but very close to picking up. finally.

nearly nabbed some dodgy older 13ft glass boats and 80s engines over the last 3 months. glad i didnt go down that route, im sure often its ok but would want to get them checked out first.

had a 13ft fyran all 2000 with 2000 15hp for $3k but the low freeboard and tippy nature put me off.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2014 at 10:39pm
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Some good comments on your post - hope it helps, please let us know what you get and post photos of boat. Good Luck!
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.