New Trailer Built Blog

Page  <12
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tonyg26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2014 at 10:23pm
Tonyg26 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Bit Slack on the updates guys,
since last pic, Have mounted guards and pretty much test fitted with boat ect on,
fully welded everything up and dropped it at the galvaniser this moring,
took one hour before i was unloaded and they have an 8 day turn around atm!!
busy as,
cheers for the advice on waiting till galv has oxidised before protecting with fish oil ect Steps,
as for the budget ill post that once all the reciepts have been added up.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2014 at 9:49am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Your pic of the winch/ rubber stop.....
I would not have set that untill established where the boat travels best on the trailer....1/2" can make a huge difference as we discovered.....Fortunately our V rubber stop was mounted a little to far towards the tow ball...(this position the boat towed ok but had a tendancey to occasionally get the wobbles.....2" further back, was sort of to light feel on the draw bar....
I established the best position by pre making several spacer blocks out of wood... and changing on the side of the road on one of our 35 min trips to the ramp

Also.. something Im currently looking at .....
I have been watching my new winch ...
Couple things are not 'right'
1/ The boat 'load' when trailering is on the winch... well the winch bearings, which is not good for them or the winch and how the gears align long term.
2/ To find a chain/ shackle combo that fits so exact one can back off the weight on the winch very little change in boat pressure on the front V is near impossible .. and impossible in our case.

So i have been looking around for an 'adjustable ' suitably rated shackle system.... a turn buckle....the problem is to find a turn buckle of the correct rating  but sort enough.

I have looked around the ramps, and it seems there are a lot of winch bearings that have been 'pulled' in their seals, and its general practice to have the winch as the primary holding force for the boat, and the stronger chain shackle as the safety.....which to me seems very wrong

And maybe something else to consider.. and covered in some older threads.... I pull our fully laden Commander (less ppl) up on the trailer with a old 2nd hand 18v black and decker battery drill with a deep impact socket with slots in home made adapter... and I do it faster than can wind it on myself

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Olfart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2014 at 10:01am
Olfart View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I have a strong rope I use as a hawser when launching and retrieving and I use that to tie the front of the boat down for the longer tows.  I use a "truckies' knot" to keep the tension on the rope rather than relying on the winch.
I did experiment with a ratchet (read ratsh*t) tie down but it was an old one and the webbing was weak so it failed fairly quickly.  Have seen some boats which have a turnbuckle to hold them on the trailer but never one which looked strong enough to make me really interested in that idea.
Semper in excreta sumus, solum profundum variat....

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tonyg26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2014 at 10:10pm
Tonyg26 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Thanks guys, this was the third change for the winch block position, 
i did alot of test fitting and i was finally happy with this one, weight on draw bar ect is fine.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fissure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2014 at 6:07pm
Fissure View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Good work on the build. Turnbuckles are great for taking the strain off a bit. Buy an oversize one, shorten and re-weld. Add a couple of tap washers or something to the connecting shackle pin to prevent rattle. Seize the shackle so no bugger nicks it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cosmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2014 at 7:45pm
cosmo View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

trailer builds also have a look at "trailer sauce" really good site for diy ers and a nz bloke with years of experience
i just want to go fishing..........amd ignore all my adult problems
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tonyg26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2014 at 8:34pm
Tonyg26 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Overdue update,
So shes all finished, very happy, 
tows mint, 3 year wof,
taken on three trips now and launch's /retrieves perfect!
also got some new graphics, for boat

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Don18025 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2014 at 8:15am
Don18025 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Great job Tony.
I especially like the wooden standing areas behind the mudguard. Smart idea that.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Flakes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2014 at 9:24pm
Fish Flakes View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Great job mate. Have been thinking of building a trailer myself. What was the cost if you don't mind me asking? What did the galv job cost?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote corokid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2014 at 10:37pm
corokid View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice job Tony , Obviously tows sweet as over coro hills and windy bits. 
Thanks again for dropping off bench top Thumbs Up
Page  <12