Small boat handling is changed by Outboard Trim!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Small boat handling is changed by Outboard Trim!
    Posted: 18 Sep 2014 at 12:01pm
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Last year I setup a smaller boat to use in harbour and was disappointed at performance in rougher seas as was hoping to use on my own or with 1 other in calm and moderate conditions (15kt or less forecast). After some thought I recently fitted an aftermarket Panther Power Tilt & Trim to my Mac 360 (12ft) with 30hp on - made an amazing difference to performance and handling. See my thread about this in Out board Clinic if interested - http://www.fishing.net.nz/asp_forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=102457&title=fitting-power-tilt-trim-to-2-stroke-merc-30hp

Originally I had opted for manual tilt trim with new motor because of additional expense of power tilt & trim - I regret this now as the difference is amazing - can achieve probably another 10km/hr in choppy seas as now able to trim bow down so boat is more stable than before when rougher and also trim out to go flat out comfortably on very calm days.

I am posting this to suggest that if you are setting up a small boat or not completely happy with your present boat consider this option carefully.
Or if your small boat pounds a lot in rougher conditions try moving manual trim (adjustable rod that can be positioned in different holes on outboard bracket) in closer to transom to push bow down before going out - may help!
Any comments or experiences? Cheers.

Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2014 at 1:56pm
Capt Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Absolutely true.
It is only my overwhelming natural humility that mars my perfection.

Captain Asparagus, Superhero, Adventurer.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote macrayfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2014 at 6:35pm
macrayfish View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I bought a forward steer Mac 360 that came with a Honda 25 with remote tilt and trim.
These motors are around 80 kg and not usually recommended by the manufacturer for such a small boat.
It makes the hull stern heavy, difficult to get off the mark, and up on the plane.

Mine was a bit of a handful until I did two things:

1/. Changed the standard prop for a higher pitch Solas.
2/. Filled the fore peak stowage hatch with about 30kgs of lead.

It made a world of difference.
Boat is now totally confidence inspiring, stable in all weather, hole shots instantly, and cruises, nicely balanced on the plane, at 20 knots.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2014 at 7:15pm
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hey Macrayfish - I have a Mac 360 and found fitting a Permatrim really helps lift - may compensate for heavier motor? Without Permatrim tends to dig bum in and take a while to get going, planes at lower speed to. Cheers
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Betty Boop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2014 at 9:39pm
Betty Boop View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I have used Permatrims on previous boats and have found them to be an excellent addition  due to their design principle Thumbs Up
Last week I joined an Anti-Social support group........They won't talk to me!

Papamoa
fi-Glass Viscount