DPDT Switch with Differential Illumination?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MikeAqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: DPDT Switch with Differential Illumination?
    Posted: 19 Sep 2014 at 1:25pm
MikeAqua View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Can anyone point me in the direction of a double-throw (on-off-on), ?double pole? switch that either: -
- Illuminates on one thrown only; or
- Illuminates a different colour on each throw.

Purpose is to changeover from main to auxiliary battery for VHF. 

The aux battery won't be charged while on board, so I need to know if it's inadvertently selected (hence the differential illumination).

I'm not 100% sure if this switch needs to be double pole.  Possibly I can combine the negatives with no problem, as long as I keep the positives separate?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2014 at 1:35pm
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

You could use something like this http://www.jaycar.co.nz/productView.asp?ID=SP0791&w=sp%2D0791&form=KEYWORD and just wire the illumination to only come on when it was running on reserve power.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MikeAqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2014 at 1:49pm
MikeAqua View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks for the suggestion. Are you sure it can be wired that way?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2014 at 1:57pm
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yes, as you mentioned you connect the negatives together. Then use one pole of the switch for switching between batteries and the other pole for switching the light on and off.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MikeAqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2014 at 2:05pm
MikeAqua View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

So the switch will have a 5th pole for the light?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2014 at 2:18pm
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Their online site isn't very helpful, but there is a view of the back of the switch in the catalogue. There are six pole connections, common, N/O and N/C for each pole and two separate connections for the illumination, + and -.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MikeAqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2014 at 2:37pm
MikeAqua View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Sorted.  Went to Jaycar.  That metal switch won't quite do it (according to the guy I spoke to).

However they had a single pole double throw rocker that is green/red illuminated, depending on throw. 

Nice chunky switch so will be easily operated in an emergency.