fuel bug...

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Garry 23041 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: fuel bug...
    Posted: 21 Sep 2014 at 6:24pm
Garry 23041 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Although it's a very bright and pretty red I have decided to get rid of it.

Every now and then (couple of years) I get some bug in the filters and remember to vacuume my tank out.

I add biocide at the time and sooner or later forget to re order until the next time it shows up.

My tank is otherwise prestine when I clean it (fiberglass tank)

I wonder if I get "re infected" or if I never get rid of it?

I will use biocide always from now on but wonder if anyone has any input re products or personal experience to share?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ohsoslow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2014 at 6:27pm
Ohsoslow View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Does red petrol mean there's a bug in it?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2014 at 6:29pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

diesel i presume?i try to keep full tank to avoid condensation,have added bug stop,so far no bug.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Garry 23041 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2014 at 6:52pm
Platinum
Platinum

Sorry to scare you mate, It's diesel.

I try to keep a full tank also, maybe I am unlucky....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Don18025 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2014 at 7:46pm
Don18025 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Keep the tank full and drain all water regularly from the bottom bung.
Only solution that works for me.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pipo de Clown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2014 at 12:23pm
Pipo de Clown View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I also keep the tank full but somehow there still is water. I learned that diesel always holds a percentage of water so it will always be there. I found a good article about diesel bug. It's right before biocide vs non biocide:

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Garry 23041 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2014 at 7:31am
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks guys.

I read the articles, and appreciate the link.

Seems I am on the right track but this time I can't drop the ball on it when the biocide runs out!

I will also cut a new bigger hatch in my cabin floor so I can get to my tank easily instead of through an inspection circle.

That will make it easy to just check the tank each year.

I realise that when the boat is on the trailer I can pop the top off the tank and poke my pickup for my siphon/vacumme in the low corner while the boat is on the hill and have any water etc trapped in one corner.

The bug I have is not the black one but a super bright red one that is part of any water layer for sure.

When I looked in the tank with a light I could see the red/water moving on the floor of the tank like mercury runs around a table.

I have it sparkle clean at the moment so now it's ongoing housekeeping and no way around it.