need pro advice on PROPELLER selecting.!!

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lovernanako Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: need pro advice on PROPELLER selecting.!!
    Posted: 15 Oct 2014 at 4:29pm
lovernanako View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

boat is a surtees 7.3 game fisher. Yamaha F225 V6 4.2
no idea which propeller to get,
looking for good top speed and fuel economy, not worrying much about acceleration.

any suggestions?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 3rnzir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2014 at 4:47pm
3rnzir View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Try Steve at Propeller Services in Papamoa.
Has a prop exchange set up.
You put a down payment on the prop he thinks is the closet fit for your boating requirements.
You record rev/time/speed splits.
Send undamaged props back until you get the prop you like the best and pay for that one.
You will still need to pay freight with each prop though.
Cheapest way to go in the long run.
Cheerz

Peace.Via superior firepower..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lovernanako Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2014 at 4:51pm
Bronze
Bronze

thanks alot for the reply!
but there is one problem!

I ordered a new boat and wanted to choose the proper propeller before I get the boat.
do you think that after I received the boat, I can exchange the prop with my boat dealer for another size?

thanks!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bounty Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2014 at 4:59pm
Bounty Hunter View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

tricky to answer without knowing a few more details

but... surtees generally not known as a fast hull - deep vee without much lift - makes it quite draggy. you could increase lift by trying a 4 blade prop

top speed is going to be very weight dependent - making a few assumptions id say your on the water weight is going to be around 2400kg - combine that with the windage for a hardtop and top speed is likely to be around 35-38kts.

with that donk, the standard yamaha prop in a 15inch pitch would be a  reasonable place to start.

or just ask the friendly folks at surtees what theyve found to be good...

that v6 motor - my experience is that you really want to keep it under 3500rpm - above that and she really starts to suck the juice...
No disintegrations!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bounty Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2014 at 5:09pm
Bounty Hunter View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by lovernanako lovernanako wrote:

thanks alot for the reply!
but there is one problem!

I ordered a new boat and wanted to choose the proper propeller before I get the boat.
do you think that after I received the boat, I can exchange the prop with my boat dealer for another size?

thanks!

my understanding is that it is onus of the dealer (surtees) to rig the motor so it achieves engine manufacturers stated maximum operating speed

thats not necessarily meaning that it is going to offer best boat performance though

whilst there is a science behind selecting a prop, the final optimum result is often requires some trial and error
No disintegrations!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bluesignature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2014 at 10:06pm
bluesignature View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

sounds familiar the gear ratio on the 4.2 is different to the old motors so you need a lower pitch i have a 7.2m southern with the same motor we went to a 15inch pitch yamaha prop but found we had heaps of prop slip a guy i know a former outboard mechanic used his influence and contacts to try a few props we settled on a 4 bladed 17 inch merc prop we still dont get full rpm so maybe a 15 may have been better i will look tomorrow to see what it is starts with v might be vengence the boat does perform better with it
men and fish are alike they both get into trouble when they open their mouths
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2014 at 9:44am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

1/ decide if for economical cruising, or top speed.
2/ Decide what cruising or top speed (see 1/) you would like
3/Decide at what rpms your cruising rpms u would like
4/establish the fully loaded weight of the boat.. gear fuel ppl etc.
5/Know the water line distance
6/ using Crouches formula (google) calculate the hp required to achieve this
NOTE: this is NOT the hp rating of the engine, it is the HP at the rpms at which u wish to cruise at... plus about 5% to 10%... so u need the power curve of the engine.

7/ u now need to know the gear box ratio.
8/ working on around a (cruising) 10 to 12% slip (thats the 'grip' the prop should have) knowing the rpm cruise, the cruise speed, and gear box ratio u put these into a forumla and it comes up with your pitch.
The slip or 'grip' is determined by , basically the diameter and number (surface area) of  blades... things like rake and cupping also influence between manufactures

u have a manufactures recommended top rpm range... with a engine that is only JUST MARGINAL(crouches formula above) then u have a slower less economical cruise if top of the range flat out fully trimed, fully loaded....
Ideally need to be about 100 rpms above the middle of that range... compromise between speed and cruise economy
 talking marginal HP engine to boat) the engine is to loaded up for longetivity .....so If say trimmed top rpms is 4700 and range is 4500 to 5500  dont cruise above around 4000K
Above that the gap between the HP requirement of the prop and HP out put of the engine is to small and long term reliability is an issue.
Have another min approx 20% engine HP

Read this several times and get to understand it
http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/propellerPowerCurve.html

U will be VERY lucky to get any professional advice other than to have a prop where can , fully trimed, on smooth water get to max manufacture recommended rpms.....regardless of slip factors etc.

Another thing that have noticed is ppl use L/Hr.... when I have put these numbers back to distance per L  regardless of L/ Hr at a given speed big differences.... the dist/ L remains near the same.

Professionally proped and then repop as per the above, gives me a cruise speed approx 5km/ hr faster at approx 1000 rpms lower with near 50% less fuel.....but not a good idea to open the throttle wide up... 2 reasons
1/ engine loading
2/ The increase in top speed over the 'professionally ' propped unit is just down right dangerious ....twitchy like a race boat WoT.

I calculated what I need ... trialed several prop that I KNEW where not what was needed to confirm any predictions.... could not get the prop I calculated because of cost... and compromised on a smaller 4 blade that in effect over did a little what I wanted.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lovernanako Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2014 at 12:22pm
Bronze
Bronze

you must be a rocket scientistBig smileBig smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishing Addiction Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2014 at 12:31pm
Fishing Addiction View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

That was the simplified version. Shot steps
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lovernanako Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2014 at 1:05pm
Bronze
Bronze

totally understood what u said, and I think Ill be able to choose the right prop now.

but one more question, Im trying to decide between F225 or F250 for outboard.
boat is rated from 200hp to 300hp. obviously 300hp is not in my budget, but thinking of
upgrading from F225 to F250, $3000 diffrence.

1. do you think its worth it.

2. what sort of benefits am I gonna get  (roughly how much faster, or no diffrence at all)

3. fuel consumption? my guess is that F250 will be better on fuel economy as it dosnt need to be pushed that hard to get the same speed.

thanks for your help!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishing Addiction Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2014 at 1:16pm
Fishing Addiction View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Surtees being a deep vee love HP and the more the better as they sit low in the water
For example most people with 6.1 would go 150hp which is the max engine, and trust me you wouldn't want less than that on that boat. Same with the 5.5. You want 115 HP which is top of range.
Never been on a 7.3 but I'm sure the 250hp would be better
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lovernanako Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2014 at 1:21pm
Bronze
Bronze

thats exactly what i thought, just need another persons advice as a excuse to get more horses LOL

fuel comsumption wise? 225 vs 250? big diffrence?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote bluesignature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2014 at 6:04pm
bluesignature View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

it was a revolution with a 17inch pitch a 15 might be better for you to give more oomph of the line with a flooding keel the 17 works well on my boat which is a similar size top speed is about 70kph
men and fish are alike they both get into trouble when they open their mouths
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ohsoslow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2014 at 6:35pm
Ohsoslow View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

There will be no real noticeable difference in fuel consumption between the two.. I'd go with the 250, should give you an extra knot or two top end.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote red89mx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2014 at 11:31pm
red89mx View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Agree with FA.  I have a Surt 6.1 and when re-powering would have gone with the Suzuki 175 if I could have swung the deal. Ended up sticking with the Yammy F150 and would not go any less.  The 5.5 also loves power and 115 seems to be the go for blue water work.  So the rule is  to go with max HP for the Surtees Hulls.

My F150 has a sweet spot in L/Nm between 3,800 and 4,000 RPM, I think the F250 would prob sit in the sweet spot better than the F225.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote otdrmn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2014 at 2:22am
otdrmn View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Agree with all above. Max power on the Surtees.
I have a 6.1 bar crusher running a 150hp Merc 4 stroke with a 4 blade prop.
The 4 blade make a huge difference to the boat and really lifts the bum up. Motor still not fully broken in but fuel Eco is improving as time goes by.
The 4 R's ~ Rods, Reels, Rifles, Rooting
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2014 at 8:15am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

but one more question, Im trying to decide between F225 or F250 for outboard.
boat is rated from 200hp to 300hp. obviously 300hp is not in my budget, but thinking of
upgrading from F225 to F250, $3000 diffrence.

1. do you think its worth it.

2. what sort of benefits am I gonna get  (roughly how much faster, or no diffrence at all)

3. fuel consumption? my guess is that F250 will be better on fuel economy as it dosnt need to be pushed that hard to get the same speed.

Go back to my post..
 at the start using crouches forumula to establishes the hp requiremrnt of that hull at the cruise speed and rpms u require plus about 20%
If u put on more hp than required,... a engine requires a given mixture to run at a given load/ rpm... how much depends on the volume of that mixture... ie volume of engine per distance

you must be a rocket scientistBig smileBig smile

Just do what a professional SHOULD be bloody doing when propping a boat... the number 'professionals' I have come across who in one sentence say , (cant have compromise between race speed and economy... Then when asked what the difference is when setting up a prop, go into a mumble about top of the rpm range fastest speed prop and have not idea about hp requirements of a prop as graphed against the HP curves of the engine, along with crouches formula.
No Im not a rocket scientist , I just like things working properly, ok maintained worry free, and happen.
If the professionals fall short by 2x time what consumption and cruise rpms speed should be... and more interested in selling a $1000 incorrect prop.. then one simply does ones own how work and gets it right... FIRST TIME.. no hit in miss BS trialling this prop and that prop.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote wopass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2014 at 12:46pm
wopass View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

after trying a couple of different pitch 3 bladers we ended up getting a SOLAS HR Titan 4 blade in 15 pitch for the 7.1 westy with a 2002 Yam f225 V6, pulls geat out of the hole, lower planing speed (cheaper on gas) and still good top end. looks Churr as too!!Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2014 at 8:47am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Be careful going to 4 blades....althu a 4 blade may have a lower surface area than a an equivalent 3 blade 1+" diam above it has huge more 'grip'
Yes have done that exercise myself as well....
Suppose that part of "rocket science"
If u can only get to manufactures bottom recommended rpm range... dont go above approx 800 rpms below that... the gap between the HP requirement of the prop and HP out put is too small and loads the engine  for shorter life.
Also run calculations(google) on your slip ....if that gets below around 10% the cupping and surface area, is so great it influences the effective pitch rating of the prop....in effect increases the effective pitch rather than a real slip factor.
You will still get the stern lift/ economy and mid  to cruise range manoeuvrability....but have excessive loads on the engine unless cruising.....

It was suggested to me by a very experienced member here to sort the grip ... before sorting the the final pitch.....and all my trial props have tried, the graphing , formula definitely confirmed that approach.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lovernanako Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2014 at 10:24am
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by Steps Steps wrote:

Be careful going to 4 blades....althu a 4 blade may have a lower surface area than a an equivalent 3 blade 1+" diam above it has huge more 'grip'
Yes have done that exercise myself as well....
Suppose that part of "rocket science"
If u can only get to manufactures bottom recommended rpm range... dont go above approx 800 rpms below that... the gap between the HP requirement of the prop and HP out put is too small and loads the engine  for shorter life.
Also run calculations(google) on your slip ....if that gets below around 10% the cupping and surface area, is so great it influences the effective pitch rating of the prop....in effect increases the effective pitch rather than a real slip factor.
You will still get the stern lift/ economy and mid  to cruise range manoeuvrability....but have excessive loads on the engine unless cruising.....

It was suggested to me by a very experienced member here to sort the grip ... before sorting the the final pitch.....and all my trial props have tried, the graphing , formula definitely confirmed that approach.

lesson learned! guess Ill have to get the boat first before I can do any experiments
Page  12>