Cool little cat

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote treedoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cool little cat
    Posted: 21 Oct 2014 at 7:51pm
treedoc View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Saw this on Hall Marine Designs' Facebook page
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barrelli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2014 at 8:13pm
Barrelli View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I saw that the other day too. Looks pretty interesting, I think it was made at marco boats as there is one on their facebook page that looks identical.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fissure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2014 at 8:21pm
Fissure View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

looks awesome!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote flyfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2014 at 8:30pm
flyfisher View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yeah I like it! Might be time for something new!
https://www.youtube.com/user/troutboynz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote treedoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2014 at 8:34pm
treedoc View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Yep, built by Marco Boats
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote the angler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2014 at 8:36pm
the angler View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Why aren't cats more popular in n.z ?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote flyfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2014 at 8:53pm
flyfisher View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Ask Gareth Morgan?.... Wink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2014 at 9:05pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

oh man just when i thought BDC had me drooling. i like how the site explains the basics to newbies to cats and their benefits. although it doesnt seem to point out there flaws, for obvious reasons haha.

i love cats, they are more common in aussie imo where i had a glass one.

it has the internal beam of a similar sized frewza external beam, now thats spacious.

the maverick wont be any closer to my meager budget than the BDC anyway. but nice to dream (find ways to make it work).
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote flyfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2014 at 9:10pm
flyfisher View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Flaws with cats has always been cavitation with single engines - age old issue, the aussies got there a bit more with the Webster Twinfisher that had a splitter pod at the back, a great design in it's own right, I don't have enough experience with single engine cats, but could be an issue still grabbing 'air' with one motor? The old Markham Whalers were a great design but also suffered serious cavitaion issues, the one I went in did anyway. If you want maximum beam and freeboard, go buy a FC dinghy!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishing Addiction Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2014 at 9:42pm
Fishing Addiction View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Certainly seems to tick the boxes. Love how they explained it all
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2014 at 12:51am
OneWayTraffic View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yes but $29500 plus outboard for 4.5m.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote the angler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2014 at 5:33am
Titanium
Titanium

Cavitation makes sense , they make some big claims on the ride being superior ( wouldn't be hard if comparing to some popular pontoons) is that only on a nice sea , how do they go on the chop?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote catch1t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2014 at 7:36pm
catch1t View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by the angler the angler wrote:

Cavitation makes sense , they make some big claims on the ride being superior ( wouldn't be hard if comparing to some popular pontoons) is that only on a nice sea , how do they go on the chop?

Cats handle sloppy conditions really well, I find ours drier than monos, 

swells are similar to monos without the 'twitch' you can sometimes get if you have a cross chop.

I dont know if I'd like a catarmaran with a single motor, 2 motors give a truer line and keep it true.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 3rnzir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2014 at 9:57pm
3rnzir View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Catch1.
I get you having a twin motor cat.
Superior to be sure.
But the price point for 1st timer Cat owner/buyers is OTT,do you think?
Perhaps the single motor Cats can give boaters a taste of the many benefits of a Cat over a Mono?

Thoughts?

Peace.Via superior firepower..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote the angler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2014 at 6:16am
Titanium
Titanium

In the world of boating money doesn't come into the equation guys see it want it buy it think about it , in that order .
Maybe the cat hull was designed by cad and is perfectly hydronamic in theory ( is that a word ?) but they didn't factor in cavitation in there design parameters.??
All I know it's a bloody nice website and I found myself thinkin man I would like one of them after browsing it .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Don18025 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2014 at 8:10am
Don18025 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Back in the 70's Peter Spurdle (Whitianga) built a plywood 32 foot cat with the same hull design as this one. It was a displacement vessel, and very seaworthy. He took it up to the Pacific as far as Guam and she was a great cruiser. In the 90's Jim Young designed and I believe it was built a 20 foot cat with the hulls reversed compared to the Maverick here - straight outside sides and the curve going up the inner hull. Plan was to move more water in towards the single engine. Not sure what happened to that design. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote catch1t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2014 at 8:05pm
catch1t View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by 3rnzir 3rnzir wrote:

Catch1.
I get you having a twin motor cat.
Superior to be sure.
But the price point for 1st timer Cat owner/buyers is OTT,do you think?
Perhaps the single motor Cats can give boaters a taste of the many benefits of a Cat over a Mono?

Thoughts?

boat has 2  30hp mercs on it. todays prices they are around $4000 each.
A new 60hp would set you back $10000, aprox.

what I like about cats is the fact you dont have as much hull in the water, easier to push.

Maybe the cat hull was designed by cad and is perfectly hydronamic in theory ( is that a word ?) but they didn't factor in cavitation in there design parameters.??

Lot of difference between a catamaran and a tunnel hull...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Spearsniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2014 at 12:54pm
Spearsniper View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Not 100% sure about their claim of requiring less HP than a similar sized mono.

My previous boat was 4.5M mono, with quite a shallow V. 50HP was too much HP for it. It would plane at low speed, and sip the gas while doing so.

Surely having less surface area in contact with the water results in the requirement of needing more HP to hold on the plane, and at higher speeds
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote catch1t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2014 at 2:23pm
catch1t View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

yea, I dont know about that..

when I look at the big cats, Ultimate Lady for example,, theres a lot less boat in the water than a comparative length mono..

its just an opinion, I have no real facts to back it up..

I know we can go a lot further in a 5 mtr cat with 2 30's than a 5 mtr mono with a single 60..  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Spearsniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2014 at 5:42pm
Spearsniper View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Indeed - less boat in the water means less drag and higher top speed. I however note that ultimate lady is pushing out 2400HP.
For a monohull to produce the same speed it would take more HP simply due to the increased drag.
Economy and usability are not all about top speed however.

Page  12>