Installing Windlass on a Fyran

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Installing Windlass on a Fyran
    Posted: 30 Oct 2014 at 11:06am
Dasher View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

All the projects are coming along. Stoneguard frames bent up and away for galving, Underfloor fuel tank, almost finished and installation starting once weather clears, road cover installed and canopy will be repaired .

Next job is to install anchor Windlass.
I've purchased a Lewmar Pro Fish 700 to install on my Fyran 580 Horizon.
Current plan is remove the current anchor well opening cover, then pattern up and route out a 6 mm Aluminium Plate to securely bolt down over the anchor well frame. Packing the windlass mounts out to the minimum 25 mm.

I reckon I should put in a hatch through the forward bulkhead to the draining anchor well so I can get to the warp and chain if there is a feed problem. Anyone had any issues with specific brands of hatches? 

Is this what others have done? Does anyone have any photos of their retrofit windlass installs?

Just getting a feel for anything I may have missed.  Thought?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote letsgetem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2014 at 11:52am
letsgetem View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I haven't had experience of a windlass - but have read that its important to have enough fall below the windlass to the TOP of the rope pile - otherwise jams can occur. I recall someone saying at least 30cm above the rope pile.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2014 at 11:58am
Dasher View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Yep that was one of the things I checked  too, and there is a tonne of fall on the 580 plus have dumped the warp and chain on top as messily as possible in the well and still has the minimum fall left over that. Fingers crossed it should be sufficient. 

I noticed a few weeks back when fishing there was another 580H with a Lewmar Horizontal mounted. Didnt see them operating the winch, but assuming the setup must be ok. They vanished before I had a chance to "Drift past" and see how they had done it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MikeAqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2014 at 1:15pm
MikeAqua View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

My experience of windlasses is that as well as adequate fall the chain must spill away from directly under the windlass, other wise it can build up to a point where jams occur.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Coochdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2014 at 7:35pm
Coochdog View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

This is my set up on a 540 horizon, works well have never had the rope(100m of 12mm) or the chain jam up.The mounting plate is 6 mm I think and the hatch is the existing one cut down.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2014 at 9:18pm
Dasher View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by Coochdog Coochdog wrote:

This is my set up on a 540 horizon, works well have never had the rope(100m of 12mm) or the chain jam up.The mounting plate is 6 mm I think and the hatch is the existing one cut down.

Your winch looks a bit more compact than the pro fish, but I like the idea of keeping the hatch on top. Have you noticed any flex on the plate holding the winch when operating?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Coochdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2014 at 9:58pm
Coochdog View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Nah mate never noticed any flexing only use the winch for winching though, always tie it off at anchor and while trying to move a stuck anchor. The hatch on top makes access simpler and dry's out the locker quickly.