Frewza F14 v Fc430

Page  123 6>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Godders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Frewza F14 v Fc430
    Posted: 15 Nov 2014 at 7:59pm
Godders View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

These seem to be the best 14ft alloy boats .which is best sea worthy fishing ability,safety ,stability ,value for money?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote flyfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2014 at 8:04pm
flyfisher View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Fishability - FC
Safety - F14
Stability - F14
Sea Worthy - F14
Value for money - FC (close this one I believe??)
Interior room - FC
Load carrying (3pob+) - FC
Best Transom setup - F14
Build quality - F14
Best backup and support - F14, (Frewza's backup is unreal, but I'm sure Fish City's is great too?)
Customisation - F14

Best Trailer.... anything but Mudgeway...

All depends what you want to do - sheltered water under 10-15 knots, FC is good value and roomy, get caught out in the snotty stuff as I have on numerous occasions, no other 14 foot boat I'd rather be in than an F14 (or Kiwikraft)... it can deal to 25-30 knots when required.

My 2c, we all love our boats on both camps, hard to go wrong with either...
https://www.youtube.com/user/troutboynz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Godders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2014 at 8:21pm
Godders View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Thanks mate for the honest review(very very rare).Ive noticed the transom set up is very good on the f14.but the live bait tank is very good as well on the fc430.but forward steer seems better but the fc 430 has easy anchoring is thicker plate aluminium and the low rider trailer is very good as well.I always start my fc430 before i get in it and arriving at the beach the tiller steer allows you to watch the outboard from hitting the sand.But the fc430 is more open to the elements as well but better alround the boat fishability?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote flyfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2014 at 8:25pm
flyfisher View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Pretty sure both are 3mm bottom as standard Godders? I opted for 4mm bottom in mine with an additional 4mm (very wide 600mm keel strip) so 8mm in the bottom of the wee hull, I can hit anything at speed with some good confidence barring the Inter Island Ferry...

You're right, a tiller steer Vs a forward steer with cuddy cabin are quite different in configuration and ride, and no denying the room in the dinghy is huge.

The best riding, most capable seaboat out there sub 4.5m still is a Kiwikraft IMO.
https://www.youtube.com/user/troutboynz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Godders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2014 at 8:28pm
Godders View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

[QUOTE=Godders] Thanks mate for the honest review(very very rare).Ive noticed the transom set up is very good on the f14.but the live bait tank is very good as well on the fc430.but forward steer seems better but the fc 430 has easy anchoring is thicker plate aluminium and the low rider trailer is very good as well.I always start my fc430 before i get in it and arriving at the beach the tiller steer allows you to watch the outboard from hitting the sand.But the fc430 is more open to the elements as well but better alround the boat fishability.yeah two great Nz boats and boat builders.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote of2fsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2014 at 8:41pm
of2fsh View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Both very good boats , I took fly fishers advice before buying a Frewza and haven't regretted it .
pretty much unbiased advice from someone who actually knows what he's talking about not someone with out a clue that loves there boat and thinks everyone should buy one ...
2009 and 2010 BERKLEY SOFTBAIT COMP CHAMPS,Runner up 2013 ( solo),winner 2013/14 longest kingfish nz fishing competition
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Godders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2014 at 8:54pm
Godders View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Yeah I like the frewza as well.but on trademe the say $12000 but what does one really cost.I like the fc430 for its fishability but in cold gusty ****e its a hard time but yeah you cant have everything.I like the look of the f14 though.for me it comes down to forward steer or fishing allround your boat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Godders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2014 at 9:08pm
Godders View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I think an fc430 with forward steer would be cool!the fc 465 looks hard to anchor but I wouldnt know.I might fit a forward steer.or just leave it as is and concentrate on catching fish.which it does nicely.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote of2fsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2014 at 9:28pm
of2fsh View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Go for a test ride in them,plenty of f14 and fc's around the forums
2009 and 2010 BERKLEY SOFTBAIT COMP CHAMPS,Runner up 2013 ( solo),winner 2013/14 longest kingfish nz fishing competition
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2014 at 10:22pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Good advice OF2fsh.
Obviously I can organise the fc430 for a test ride - just pm me or call the shop or ask another forum member. (4MM bottom  std by the way on fc430 to answer the question above)
Someone else on here should be able to offer a ride in the Frewza?

Well done to Flyfisher for objective summary- agree with most of what he said . 

Just an observation here - the fc boats are not pontoon boats. It is interesting that they are compared to Pontoon boats all the time.
 For  stability comparisons the fc430's wider beam lets anyone  stand right to the edge of the fc boat as there is no pontoon stopping you. Point being you can get the fc's to tilt more than a pontoon boat because you can get your weight out further if you wanted to .
 To fairly compare with pontoon you would have to stand on outside edge of the pontoon to do the same test/ same ctre of gravity? Pontoons are probably always going to make a boat more stable but can impact on room inside the boat.

Both great boats - we get plenty of frewzas in at work with mercury servicing etc . Good to see nz boatbuilders doing well with great products.
Good luck Godders with your choice.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote letsgetem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2014 at 9:17am
letsgetem View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I own a Frewza F14, so I know that well. I have seen a FC430 but only briefly. I don't know it well and havent rode in one. My comments are based on things I perceive from the description on their website and my previous owning a 4.1m open Frewza with tiller steer.
The F14, having a forward superstructure with screen, offers shelter, from wind and sea spray, plus somewhere to store stuff. The thought of blasting into a 20 knot wind head-on without some forward shelter, fills me with horror. Also, at anchor the screen offers some shelter from wind on the bow. Ive done the open boat, and didn't like it. However, I know that some don't mind the open boat (with tillers and CCs) - presumably in the interest of getting more fishing room around the front.
The open 430 would certainly make anchoring much easier than the F14 - I have a winch so that's not a factor now.
Another biggie, is forward steer vs tiller steer. Basically, I find forward steer a huge advance over tiller - but, also a huge increase in price! Sitting at the back, gave me a poor view of whats coming - made even worse if there was someone sitting forward. Also, I didn't like the noise of the motor right by my ear. Slightly Off-setting this -the ride at the back is considerably softer than forward.
More biggies - safety - stability and reserve buoyancy. Stability would be determined by higher beam, lower hull deadrise and greater hull down-turn at the sides - the F14 appears relatively good - the 430 I don't know. If it was me - I would want to get two sizable guys sitting on the same side, and see how much it tilts. Reserve buoyancy - in the F14, with the air -sealed underfloor and pontoons right round, has huge buoyancy - the 430, doesn't appear to have anywhere near as much (I would be happy to be proved wrong). I know which one I would rather be in when crossing the bar (it aint the 430).   

When I bought boats, I didn't go for a ride first. And I kicked myself after. I suggest going for sea trial would answer most of the questions. Secondly - if you don't have a lot of experience, calling on someone else's advice would be a big help. Its a lot of fun.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote of2fsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2014 at 9:52am
of2fsh View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Something to add here re the cabin providing cover.
When I brought my F16 side console that was a concern ,no one wants to get wet,should I get a cabin model or not ..
I've found the complete opposite,very rarely do you get wet .
If it's blowing 20 and your crossing waves at a 45 deg angle you get the odd spray,mostly I'm doing 20 knts boat speed so it's kind of enivitable you will get some.
I'm led to believe the FC boats are the same ( dry boat)
The open fishing spaces these boats provide is the key,that and the ability to handle average conditions with ease all the while using bugger all gas.
The buoyancy factor of my Frewza was recently tested when I left my bung out and went out into some extremely average conditions.
The boat filled to the top of my ankles and just sat there,on return I had a 30 minute wait at the ramp in the Que and while I felt a bit embarrassed I wasn't going to sink ...so impressed with this if it had of happened out at sea I would of carried on fishing   
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2014 at 12:05pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I also left bung out of my F14. Way out in the gulf in fairly choppy conditions watching the reflections in the water creeping over the floor. I hadnt put in both bungs. Headed back and when the boat started to move forward the stern didnt go down one bit. As if nothing had happened.
Dont know why they even bother to have bungs in the F 14.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2014 at 3:28pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Id say their is some comfort in owning a pontoon boat, thats a strong selling point.

Id think the fc430 would be more stable all things being equal given its beam and gull wing, but clearly the f14 would be more bouyant should ship hit the fan.

Both are great inshore boats with pros and cons. If i was venturing a bit further out id have the f14, not saying the fc430 isnt capable, but peace of mind is a wonderful thing. if it was just an inshore boat then id go the fc430 for stability, internal beam/room and ride and price. in saying that the fc430 does still have under floor/gunnel  bouyancy.

gotta get a test ride in both to know whats best. its subjective.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote corokid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2014 at 4:47pm
corokid View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Would not get any better honest reviews as above .

With reference to the passive live bait tank on the FC430 , I was most impressed with this simple set up. Having an effective livie tank on small boat without requirement of a pump and a battery to run it really appealed.
For practical purposes and with custom build option can't see any reason a similar option could not be used on F14 or any boat for that matter. Would have to take floor height and waterline height relationship into account of course. Just a thought.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2014 at 4:50pm
Capt Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Did someone say they were made of only 3mm?!?http://www.fishing.net.nz/asp_forums/corokid-some-allenco-pics-today_topic105466.html

This 4.5m boat is 4/5mm. But, horses for courses of course.
It is only my overwhelming natural humility that mars my perfection.

Captain Asparagus, Superhero, Adventurer.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Godders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2014 at 7:31pm
Godders View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I love my FC430 its built like a tough and the room in them is awesome Ive got a deckchair plus two pedestal seats and still have room to move from one baitrunner to the other and the rod holdets are well placed and angled.Its easy to anchor,launch and retrieve.A+++++++Very well thought out ,basic design that works very well.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote of2fsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2014 at 9:21pm
of2fsh View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Capt Asparagus Capt Asparagus wrote:

Did someone say they were made of only 3mm?!?http://www.fishing.net.nz/asp_forums/corokid-some-allenco-pics-today_topic105466.html

This 4.5m boat is 4/5mm. But, horses for courses of course.

would it compete on price ?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2014 at 10:02pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

id love either boat because stability is so handy in a small boat, especially tinnies. a 4.5m glass boat that isnt overly beamy moves a bit but due to weight it stays relatively stable. i think modern ally designers are hitting the mark.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2014 at 10:11pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

you are right on the mark re stability being handy in a small boat fizfisho.  . I would say it is the most essential ,critical ingredient in small boat design.
Page  123 6>