Fuel how old is too old?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MikeAqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fuel how old is too old?
    Posted: 17 Dec 2014 at 1:07pm
MikeAqua View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I have two almost full 20L totes of 50:1 pre-mix sitting in my boat. 

They have been there about 8 weeks, while  I was waiting for a starter motor clutch.

Are they safe to use as is?

Should I split the old fuel between 4 tanks, then top up with fresh pre-mix?

I have fuel filters and the totes have been under cover.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote flyfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2014 at 1:11pm
flyfisher View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

8 weeks will be fine IMO. No issues at all.
https://www.youtube.com/user/troutboynz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2014 at 2:06pm
Otto View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Would hope so but one outboard I had a few years ago (Mercury Optimax) which was new would not run on fuel that old.
Gave the impression I had dropped a cylinder, hopeless, new fuel all good.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2014 at 2:09pm
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I always put 95 in the tote tanks, not 91. So if it does degrade a little and lose some octane rating it is still OK to use. Not sure if it makes a big difference, but I've never had any issues with fuel doing this.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2014 at 2:29pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

I've left fuel for that time plenty of times. It should be good.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 700 LTR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2014 at 3:41pm
700 LTR View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I have had fuel sit for most the winter then used it no worries at all.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2014 at 5:53pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Had 91 fuel sitting for 10 months after selling a boat and keeping the spare tote tanks - tried it in the mower first, fine. Then through the outboard. Fine. Big 2 V4 stroke just chewed through it in normal fashion.
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Thirstyhustler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2014 at 6:15pm
Thirstyhustler View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

The dealers i have spoken to have said 3 months without a fuel stabiliser up to 8 with otherwise the ethonol seperates and burns much hotter than the newer fuel and then leads to a "major meltdown" most mechanics i have dealt with will tune the motor on their own fresh gas if the stuff on the boat is too old
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SNOWKIWI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2014 at 6:23pm
SNOWKIWI View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

If the tanks are not vented, you won't be losing the "light ends", that are normally lost through evaporation, and can reduce the "quick start" of your fuel, over time, but after that short a time, your probably o.k. Any doubts though, take some out and put in some fresh mix, say 40% fresh 60% old, should take care of any problems you might have had! Big smile
It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing, by people who can't fish.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote petethemeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2014 at 6:47pm
petethemeat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Thirstyhustler Thirstyhustler wrote:

The dealers i have spoken to have said 3 months without a fuel stabiliser up to 8 with otherwise the ethonol seperates and burns much hotter than the newer fuel and then leads to a "major meltdown" most mechanics i have dealt with will tune the motor on their own fresh gas if the stuff on the boat is too old

Didn't think petrol had ethanol in it (apart from those that have had it added to and we shouldn't be using those blends in our boats).
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2014 at 7:05pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

if in doubt use in car,a bit if oil won't hurt
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2014 at 7:38pm
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Would not use in my car pjc - has a catalytic convertor and if premixed fuel the oil will shorten life of O2 sensors - and with 4 sensors it gets expensive real quick.
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2014 at 7:49pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Never had an issue tipping marine oil mixed petrol into any of my cars, all with cat converters...anyway 8 weeks is fine Mike
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MikeAqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2014 at 9:19am
MikeAqua View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks for the advice guys. 

It has been sitting with the vents closed.  I have about 16L in each of two tanks.  By the time I split that into two more tanks that will be 8L in each. I'll add 12L fresh petrol (+oil) and that will be 60/40 new/aged.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2014 at 9:30am
Titanium
Titanium

Mike Aqua - I like to "use up" the premixed contents of my tote tank and check for water once a year - this involves using as much as I can in boat (carry spare fresh fuel in another tank) and using up remainder in a 2 stroke lawn mower or chain saw etc. I use boat at no more than monthly intervals usually more often but am concerned that some stale fuel/water will accumulate in tank? Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MikeAqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2014 at 9:44am
MikeAqua View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks Mac.  I must admit I never fully empty my totes - always a litre or two in the botom when I swap over.  Very hard to get that out. Burnsco sell a little brass manual petrol pump for $50.  Been meaning to get one for a while for tank-tank fuel transfers.  Long term will go back to underfloor.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2014 at 9:53am
Titanium
Titanium

Mike Aqua is an under floor tank any better than a tote tank in terms of fuel going off and water accumulation? I guess you would have a fuel/water separation filter fitted, but you can put one of these in a tote tank setup as well? As my motors are small 30 & 50hp I like the convenience of tote tanks for filing/topping up and easy to tell what's left as you can pickup - I never found the fuel gauge very accurate on my under floor tank even after changing sender.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MikeAqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2014 at 9:00am
MikeAqua View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I have water seperating filters, tote tanks running through them.  I don't think an underfloor tank is any better than totes from a fuel age perspective. But my boat was built with an underfloor fuel tank, and there is really nowhere out of the way to stick the totes while in use.  Also nice to have some weight down low.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2014 at 9:28am
Titanium
Titanium

Sure Mike Agua - if you have a tank under floor best to use - as you say keeps weight down low - my fizz boat with 6cyl 115 gas guzzling merc went a lot better when 70 litre tank was empty - painful part was filing up and that was years ago. Unfortunately the tank was right up front so really changed trim/getting onto plane when full/empty - but on plus side you could tell when tank getting low! Found it distinctly nose heavy with full tank.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote TIN RIB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2014 at 1:21pm
TIN RIB View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Likewise I have had mine sitting for 7 odd months over winter and never had any issues. Tend to have the 180 litre tank quite low and top up with fresh stuff with no additives and no problems. Engine is a 200 Opti