Salt-Away test, does it really work??

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lovernanako Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Salt-Away test, does it really work??
    Posted: 19 Dec 2014 at 10:00pm
lovernanako View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

first things first, thanks to Andrew at fishing boats nz northshore, Ive finally got my Surtees yesterday, went out at westhaven for a sea trial and couldnt be happier, towed the boat home
and blasted it down with my newly purchased Karcher T5.700 pressure washer and flushed the 
engine with fresh water, left it and went to check it out this morning, and this is where the story begins..... my boat is fully covered in white salt deposites! wtf???

I went strait to the nearest burnsco store and bought 1 Litre of Salt-Away and a Salt attack mixer, not knowing if it really works, blasted the boat with it again, let my boat dry for a couple of hours,
went back and checked on it again, guess what happened...... its clean!

not really sure if its the product, or blasting my boat twice that made it clean, so I decide to make
a little test at home. (LOOK DOWN)

First I cut out a piece of aluminium sheet out of a coke can, and dipped it in salt water, letting it dry
and repeat the dipping process 3 times, to simulate a whole day of running in the sea.
(aluminium sheet full of salt deposites, but I accidently deleted the photo from my phone :( but you
 will get the idea.)

after that I filled a spray bottle with filtered water and sprayed one side of the sheet 15 times,
and then filled a spray bottle with pre-mixed Salt-Away solution by using the salt attack mixer and sprayed the other side 10 times and rinses the solution off by spraying with filtered water 5 more times.

NOTE. filtered water is used to make sure that the white marks left on the sheet are salt, not residue due to hard water, and Ived used the salt attack mixer to mix the solution to get the real world mixing ratio.

and guess what the result isLOLLOL

this is the side thats been spray cleaned with filtered water.

and this is the side thats been sprayed and rinsed off with Salt-Away solution.

Conclusion: my conclusion is that Salt-Away works like its claimed, bearing in mind
that Ive used a very very powerful water blaster, so hosing your boat and trailer with fresh water
out of a garden hose does nothing other than getting your driveway wet.

maybe my test is not 100% replicating the real world scenario but I think its good enough to convince my self to keep on using this product, and from the results above, I will use it
to flush my engine as well.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lovernanako Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2014 at 10:03pm
Bronze
Bronze

nor Burnsco or Salt-Away gives me any type of support, this test is done fully at my own intention
and cost, sorry for my poor english and Merry Christmas to everyone.

Nick
Team Yeehaa
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2014 at 12:08am
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Interesting test Nick - I am not a chemist but work in medical industry servicing equipment - medical washers use a "lubricant" this reduces/eliminates spotting that you describe and when dispenser not working looks the same as your untreated coke can.
Has anyone used saltaway and still got corrosion occurring despite using or do the other additives in it really eliminate corrosion?
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2014 at 4:30am
Tzer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I think you will find the white spots left after a good rinsing with fresh water is the calcium deposits in the water rather than it being left over salt deposits.
I use Salt Away on only when I do a engine flush, I now use a cheaper salt wash product as Salt Away is exspensive as a final rinse on the boat now I dont get the white spots and if I do its minimal.
If you want to see acomparison between ordinary tap water and rain water leave your boat out in the rain after you have wash the boat the way you would normaly, you should find no white spots.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ROCKSTARS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2014 at 4:53am
ROCKSTARS View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Any pics of the new boat
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2014 at 6:44am
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks Tzer what you say makes sense - and I remember now calcium being mentioned as the culprit. I have seen the same with my car - some spotting after washing with tap water but not after using tank water. Also the calcium content (or hardness) varies around the country depending where water is sourced from, Auckland has soft water (low calcium).
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2014 at 6:55am
feeder View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Seeing you are right into experimenting lovernanako try this, in your dispenser pictured put 2 window wash soap sticks and see how that goes, I have used this method on a glass boat for a number of years now and it works a treat, would be interesting to see how it performs on an alloy boat.
Every now and then the motor gets a flush of the same, last 100 hr check the thermostat housing had minimal salt deposit according to the serving mechanic.

Cheers
The only bar to frequent is the Kawhia Bar
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2014 at 7:19am
Titanium
Titanium

So feeder you wash boat and occasionally flush motor with window wash sticks in your wash brush? - I know for car paintwork it is recommended to use car wash detergent - for example dish washing liquid should not be used on car paint work as strips oils/waxes from paint. Window wash sticks are used on house paint work around windows so may be ok? - but I wonder about outboard paint work and interior flushing? I use a car wash and boat detergent for washing top of boat and motor and all fish bits out. For motor I flush with water AND run for 5 minutes to ensure thermostat opens and all salt residues flushed out. Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Olfart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2014 at 8:13am
Olfart View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by MacSkipper MacSkipper wrote:

Thanks Tzer what you say makes sense - and I remember now calcium being mentioned as the culprit. I have seen the same with my car - some spotting after washing with tap water but not after using tank water. Also the calcium content (or hardness) varies around the country depending where water is sourced from, Auckland has soft water (low calcium).

That depends very much where you live in the Auckland area, MacSkipper.  If you live in the older areas, it appears that the water is definitely softer than it is in the newer areas.  All I know is that we have to add water softener when doing the laundry and the wife is always complaining about that.
I normally just rinse my glass boat using the garden hose and let it dry naturally, but last time out on doing the cleanup we used the residue in the Saltaway mixer to wash the boat and then rinsed normally and you could definitely see the difference.  There is a product available from Supercheap called CT-18 which is relatively cheap and seems to do a good job on a friend's glass boat and his cars, so I will be looking into that soon as Saltaway is a tad expensive....
Semper in excreta sumus, solum profundum variat....

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cbro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2014 at 8:55am
Cbro View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Grape seed wash is great stuff for washing boats an car. Buy it pretty cheap from trade Xtra. SMells better too.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lovernanako Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2014 at 9:19am
Bronze
Bronze

nah I'm pretty sure it's salt residues on my boat. Cos I licked it
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lovernanako Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2014 at 9:21am
Bronze
Bronze

thanks. Will try different things to see if I could save some money
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2014 at 9:47am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Tzar is dead right
I think you will find the white spots left after a good rinsing with fresh water is the calcium deposits in the water rather than it being left over salt deposits.

Cacluim and magnesium salts..which in exterme build up cases can cause non soluble build up and absorb / prevent good  sea salt removal... see more below.
In saying that Auckland in general has some of the most soft water in the world.. keeping in mind Auckland water is sourced from different places in different areas... bore lake, river, catchments.. so levels vary.. with bore sources higher... Also of note may believe because soaps go a little slimy when cleaning this is due to hard water.. it is not.. it is because of very soft water.....
These depots require acidic conditions to remove.. citric/ vinegar solns.. but these also oxidise aluminum......
Salt water is a very dilute soln, and salt is one of the most easy salts to disolve up..along with sugar... so much so they both absorb water. The problem is when they are combines with dirt, despoites and other insolvable salts and materials.
If surfaces are clean, salt rinses off very easy, a 2nd quick rinse even better.
Addition of a good quality car detergent certainly helps break up the non dissoluble component of the issue... even better are some of the truck pressure spray detergents, espec those that are designed to foam up and then be left before rinsing off... even over night
Thu still best with salt water to rinse then foam up....which essentially maintains low levels of insoluble deposits.
Check out labels in your local supercheap store
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cbro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2014 at 10:31am
Cbro View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Alloy boat with no coating I'd use inox after wash. My dad did this and his boat looked better than a new one. Didn't apply it after every trip.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2014 at 1:17pm
mozz View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

For a cheaper option fill your salt away sprayer with distilled white vinegar and buy a chamois and dry the boat each time. You put a lot of money into a new boat. You don't need to spend lots on salt away to protect your investment.

A good coat of wax and a simple spray with the hose and then dry the boat and you will achieve the same result.

I use salt away for outboards and that's it.

Super yachts around the world use the same system so you know it works
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2014 at 1:17pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

olfart. All I know is that we have to add water softener when doing the laundry and the wife is always complaining about that. 
I take it you by washing machines often then,asked at 2 appliance stores about fabric softner  and both have said "no",they clog up pumps

steps,you forgot that we are drinking waikato river water,even though our dams are full the pumps are still running as it is to costly to turn them off.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Olfart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2014 at 2:25pm
Olfart View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

pjc.....
I was referring to the fact that water in our area is drawn from the Waikato river (but didn't say so in my post) and is heavily treated to make it fit for consumption, making it 'hard' when compared with other water.  We find standard laundry powders do not 'suds up' sufficiently unless water softener is used - this has nothing to do with the type of washing machine by the way and we have not had any problem with the pump on our machine.....
Semper in excreta sumus, solum profundum variat....

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lovernanako Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2014 at 2:31pm
Bronze
Bronze

tzer is probably right. I'll be looking at other solutions to clean my boat.
I'll still be using Salt-Away for my boat cos it works for me at the moment, but at $39.99 a liter.......
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2014 at 2:52pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

my bad Grant,i took as fabric softner,since we are waikato water,my home brew is not the same,use to be able to use normal tap water. even washing car looks terrible,streaks.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2014 at 3:17pm
Titanium
Titanium

Lovernanako I have got this disturbing image of you licking your boat....hmmm you are right though I taste salt as well when I try it
Page  12>