Yamaha 40hp

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote beer_cruiser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Yamaha 40hp
    Posted: 16 Jan 2015 at 5:00pm
beer_cruiser View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Ive got a 3cyl 2 stoke 40hp yamaha on a Fryan.
The boat and motor belong to a mate who is working offshore.
He asked me to look after it and take it out 'Its betta having a run than just sitting at the Olds place
I picked it up in October and have taken it out maybe10 times. Its always run sweet 1st pull on starter gets it going. Ive started softbait fishing and been having fun.
About 10 days ago I got up early and headed out Tauranga harbor hoping to fish out side of Matakana. When I got to the entrance the wind was up from the east and was bit choppie so I had a drift back down the harbor. I pick up my first Kingy a rat of about 550. The tide change and all I got was weed after that so was home by 8 30am. Gave the boat a quick wash and rinsed the motor.
Tuesday after work me and mate from work decided to head out. We put boat in the water and I said something like'Cheak tnis motor out starts 1st time....
The motor seams to have seized. How could it seize just sitting?
Ive dropped it at the boat shop up at Taurikura . They going to have alook and give me a quote. The guy I spoke to didn't think it would be good news. Said mite be cheaper to get another motor...
Its not the best news . Has anyone had similar problems with the Yamaha? How much do you think I could be shelling out to fix? Have I take it to the right place. It seems like a professional set up but may not be the cheapest. But then chep not always good.
Thanks for having a look at my tail of woe. Any help appreciate Malcolm
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SNOWKIWI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2015 at 5:18pm
SNOWKIWI View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

A few questions could be asked here, i.e. Did you use 2 stroke fuel, can't remember for sure, but this model use premix fuel, don't mix it in the motor when its running? Did you use the right fuel mix. Also you say it is a 40HP Johnson, then you are asking if anyone has had similar problems with Yamaha? Which motor do you have???
It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing, by people who can't fish.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote beer_cruiser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2015 at 7:12pm
Bronze
Bronze

Oh sorry Ive edited above post due to me being a complete muppit.
It is a yamaha motor. It is the oil injected motor
I was using the Caltx outboard 2 stoke oil. Boatshop guy said it wasn't the best oil
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2015 at 6:19am
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

When you flushed motor after last use was cooling water flowing? Sounds like it seized once cooled down?

Hope he is a good mate - gets awkward in these situations - pay shop to just check outboard and advise what they think happened and estimate cost of repair - then talk to the owner of boat. Hopefully it is not your fault.
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote beer_cruiser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2015 at 7:14am
Bronze
Bronze

The cooling water was flowing when I flashed the motor . I cheak water ais running after reading on herd that someone had kinked there hose and damaged the motor.
He was a good mate when he left. Still have to let him know about motor.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cosmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2015 at 10:04pm
cosmo View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

probab best to get a couple quotes which shop did you go to,have heard nolans shop down there pretty good
i just want to go fishing..........amd ignore all my adult problems
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2015 at 10:15pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

How do you know motor has seized . If it was running O.K when flushing and water running through just seems strange it should seize when just sitting unused I would def as Cosmo said get opinions, ,diagnosis and quotes.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2015 at 5:20am
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

had you noticed if oil in feed tank was actually dropping,other words was it feeding oil in to motor,premix is so reliable can never trust oil feeder,
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 2 Meke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2015 at 5:38am
2 Meke View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I have had an issue with the Yamaha 40 oil injection before. The breather hole in the oil cap was blocked and didn't
t allow the oil to flow out was good for a couple of years hard use then one day it seized.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2015 at 6:35am
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Friends merc50 oil feed packed up.now premixes no issues in 3yrs
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2015 at 1:58pm
Titanium
Titanium

pjc - I have a 2006 Merc 2 Stroke 50HP oil injected - been running well for 8 years 300 hours now - can you find out what year & hours was your mates mer50?   Thanks
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2015 at 3:58pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

2005 unknown hours.guarantee service would be rare.hence reason I will not go out.reckoned it using to much oil and disconnected line?premix only.nice guy but lacks mechanical knowledge.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2015 at 5:41am
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks pjc - ok at least pump delivering to much oil - better than to little! Was concerned as I have not heard of any issues with the later version of oil injection Mercury used (oil pump under cowling, driven directly from motor) - unlike the earlier under transom system..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote beer_cruiser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2015 at 11:35am
Bronze
Bronze

Update , after week or so of no news Ive gone and picked up boat and am going down to Marine and Boat at Te Puke.
Mate from work uses them and rates them highly.
I had no problems with other shop but they very busy and I need to know whats wrong and how much to fix it
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote beer_cruiser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2015 at 10:29am
Bronze
Bronze

Update, I have taken the boat to Marine and Boat Te Puke .Got there about 11 30 Russell pull the plugs and told me water had got in to cylinder 1.
He got the crank moving and said its not looking to bad, leave it with him and he would give me a quote
At 12 30 he gave me a ring to say the top barring had also gone looking at $500ish to fix.
So not as bad as I first through not great but could be a lot worse
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2015 at 10:50am
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Could have been a lot worse. Now to find out cause of how that happened.