New Sounder\Plotter

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sambosi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Sounder\Plotter
    Posted: 22 Feb 2015 at 3:54pm
Sambosi View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

My electronics have packed up so need replacing and I am looking for advice on what would be a good fit for my needs.

I do a lot of gamefishing so being able to see bait and also the bottom in up to 300 meters for puka spots while trolling at 5-7 knots so I am thinking I will need a 1KW transducer.  Ideally I would like a unit that could split the screen 3 ways with chart, top 40m for bait and bottom structure.

The chartplotter will need to be accurate as I do a bit of diving and like to get back to the same rocks from time to time.

I do a lot of snapper and kingi fishing in the gulf so being able to see if the fish are there is important.

The new unit will need to fill a 19cmW x13.5cmH hole the unit that will be being removed will leave

I am prepared to spend around 4K, maybe a bit more on this.

My brief bit of research this afternoon has leant me towards the Garmin 751 or Simrad NSS8 but I am no expert so looking for some good advice with an open mind.

If anyone has something they are selling similar to this PM me.

Also I will need someone to install it probably so if anyone wants a small job let me know.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote of2fsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2015 at 4:03pm
of2fsh View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I've just got a new Garmin 751xs ,the mapping is top notch,the chirp is just amazing.
there warranty is real good as well,hard to go past.
2009 and 2010 BERKLEY SOFTBAIT COMP CHAMPS,Runner up 2013 ( solo),winner 2013/14 longest kingfish nz fishing competition
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 3rnzir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2015 at 11:21pm
3rnzir View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

X2 on the Garmin 751XS.
I think Garmin have a 10" XS chirp due for NZ release very soon,Boat Show maybe.
Garmin really have upp`d their MFD units of late.
Class leaders in many areas now.
Garmin plotters have been top notch for years.
Not surprising,as they dominate the GPS/Plotter market in aviation,hiking etc.
Pioneers in  consumer GPS.
Give Bay Electronics a call.
Peace.Via superior firepower..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishing Addiction Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2015 at 7:35am
Fishing Addiction View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I've had the garmin 557xs since it got released 1.5years ago and still wowed by the picture and charting. Next level but make sure you go chirp. My screen is too small to have both running I reackon so 7"+ would be ideal
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote lance@driveline.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2015 at 7:51am
[email protected] View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Simon ive just dumped all the old gear and gone with Simrad NSS EVO-12's . It has been a revelation to say the elast and I cant believe what ive been missing out on. I havnt pulled the boat yet to do the Broadband sounder etc so am still running through the old Airmar TM258 which I can still chirp through but only running at 60% of potential. Im sounding on 200Htz to 300m which blew me away and then using thye Chirp LOw and 50hz.

Worth a look at least
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Betty Boop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2015 at 1:20pm
Betty Boop View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Good to hear good opinions as I have just picked up my new Garmin echoMAP 70dv(suits my requirements) from baymarine ElectronicsThumbs Up 
Last week I joined an Anti-Social support group........They won't talk to me!

Papamoa
fi-Glass Viscount
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote woodsy13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2015 at 9:20pm
woodsy13 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

nice work - loving my 70dv so far! and you wouldve saved a fair bit on the budget!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote of2fsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2015 at 10:45pm
of2fsh View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Have a Google of " Garmin panoptix" , a new level of sonar, real time with the entire screen refreshed every time the tranny pings,no scrolling no lag time.
Shows the tranny up in top Cnr and you can see both your lure and the fish attacking the lure.
So you can see if a fish shys away from your lure and change lures out to try and catch them.
Game changer this one
2009 and 2010 BERKLEY SOFTBAIT COMP CHAMPS,Runner up 2013 ( solo),winner 2013/14 longest kingfish nz fishing competition
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2015 at 10:02am
mozz View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I just put a garmin840xs with gsd175m in my tender. Great little unit and got sharp readings out to 450m
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote flyfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2015 at 10:22am
flyfisher View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Some good oil above Simon.. not hard to see what people are happy with. The Garmin gear is excellent, user friendly and improving at a great rate, I'll be going back to Garmin once my Lowrance ****s itself... which if past experience is anything to go by... will be within 5 years!
https://www.youtube.com/user/troutboynz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote of2fsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2015 at 1:47pm
of2fsh View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

1st trip with the 751xs and 150m airmar tranny,only one word ...WOW
There will be no snapper left in my spot next November I'm going to catch them all
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 3rnzir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2015 at 8:06am
3rnzir View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I read an article recently explaining why Garmin FFs have leaped ahead of their previous FFs.
In such a short time frame.
Seems that Garmin (based in Kansas),headhunted up to 8 Lowrance(based in Oklahoma) FF development/research engineers.
Garmin offered the Lowrance engineers a new lab/facility in Oklahoma.
To induce said engineers to jump ship.
ie,engineers families did not have to move out of State/town.
Plus better pay and benefits/budgets.
Lowrance took Garmin to court to stop Garmin/Lowrance engineers.
Lowrance lost the case.
Though Lowrance IP  could not be transferred to Garmin.
Heavy weight division rumble to be sure.
Top R&D/Engineers can name their price eh!

Peace.Via superior firepower..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Betty Boop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2015 at 10:12am
Betty Boop View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Garmin   =Thumbs Up

Lowrance=Thumbs DownDead
Last week I joined an Anti-Social support group........They won't talk to me!

Papamoa
fi-Glass Viscount
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote TIN RIB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2015 at 11:00am
TIN RIB View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Like Lance I've just purchased the Simrad NSS12 Evo 2 , haven't installed yet but very keen to see how better it is than my old Furuno 1650 sounder / plotter
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote whippersnappyr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2015 at 8:36pm
whippersnappyr View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Happy NSS Evo2 12" customer here
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MandM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2015 at 8:43pm
MandM View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi,
we have a NSS EVO 2 , 12 inch screen with 4 g radar, bsm 3 unit and side scan in our surtees 6.7.
Pretty happy with the set up. Sounder is awesome and so easy to use. Radar is great too.
 Side scan is average and cant use it in the deep water.
Cost 15k with free install.
 May get another smaller screen 7 inch or so as spilting it 3 ways makes them to small.

Would recommend, all NZ gear with free updates.