Drum winch

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Obsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Drum winch
    Posted: 23 Feb 2015 at 9:50pm
Obsessed View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Am looking at putting a drum winch on my sf600. Originally looked at a windlass style however don't have the fall required in the anchor well and the modification required for this to work doesn't turn me on too much.
Anyhow have been researching a bit and come across a few options. So far have come across Sav winch, lone star and stress free. I like the look of the lonestar 1000w model. A mate just put a 1000w Sav winch on his mclay and he seems pretty happy but he got a super sharp price from boat show last year.
There have been a few threads regarding this on here a few years back but after any new opinions or ideas.
Are there any other decent brands out there and where is best place to purchase from, i will instal myself.
Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Denny Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2015 at 10:05am
Denny Boy View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Obsessed Obsessed wrote:

Am looking at putting a drum winch on my sf600. Originally looked at a windlass style however don't have the fall required in the anchor well and the modification required for this to work doesn't turn me on too much.
Anyhow have been researching a bit and come across a few options. So far have come across Sav winch, lone star and stress free. I like the look of the lonestar 1000w model. A mate just put a 1000w Sav winch on his mclay and he seems pretty happy but he got a super sharp price from boat show last year.
There have been a few threads regarding this on here a few years back but after any new opinions or ideas.
Are there any other decent brands out there and where is best place to purchase from, i will instal myself.
Cheers

Hi Obsessed-(I was obsessed with this project at the time!!) see below a few pics of the unit I put on my 5.5 Surtees. I did post these some time ago in another thread. Unsure if this crowd still supplies these but it was a lot cheaper than any other brand at the time-I did install it myself all up for about $1200 including expensive duplex anchor rope which is only a third of the thickness of normal 8-10mm rope and stronger 3 tonne break. I have 120m of duplex and 50m of 8mm nylon on the drum + 10m chain...180m total. Had to buy cables and a few other bits and pieces separate. Hope this helps. Cheers

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MikeAqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2015 at 12:51pm
MikeAqua View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Whatever you get I suggest you consider a fast/free fall option, power out at normal retrieve speed is rather slow.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2015 at 1:40pm
Otto View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I installed a Lonestar after looking around at several and so far have had no problems and in fact impressed with it.
Also installed one on the mates boat next door and all good there.
Liked the build quality and the warranty compared to others.

No free fall but I can live with that.
Wondered if I had chosen the right option but when you met others at the ramps etc and they are having problems with theirs I'm happy.

Yep a company I've dealt with for a while sells them so that also persuaded me.
See quick a few of the boat manufacturers are also switching to Lonestar now

Want more info send me a PM or give me a ring, 021 957 015 cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote feijoa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2015 at 2:07pm
feijoa View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

might give you a call otto, how long have you had yours in? looking at something in the market to make anchoring just a bit easier.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2015 at 4:46pm
Otto View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by feijoa feijoa wrote:

might give you a call otto, how long have you had yours in? looking at something in the market to make anchoring just a bit easier.

More than welcome, what area you in ? I'm on the shore if you wanted to view.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Time_Bandit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2015 at 7:51pm
Time_Bandit View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I have a sav on my surtees love it !!
“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Obsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2015 at 10:16pm
Obsessed View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks for comments.
Am swinging towards the Lonestar, good price and quality however is a larger unit compared to Sav winch. More measuring needed to see what fits better.
In terms of freefall not to worried, would be concerned about overrun and isn't a cheap option either.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote whitigroper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2015 at 10:56pm
whitigroper View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

i just brought a motor and gearbox unit from windlass nz same chinese motors most manufactures use and then made the drum to suit my anchor well ended up costing just over 1000 for everything including stainless steel parts 316 , new anchor , rope , switch , circuit breaker and wires to the battery ($250) so if you no someone that can weld stainless you could do it without having to modify boat mine has been in for a year now and never had an issue plus i got the motor and gearbox off a capstan they sell so its 68 rpm not 40 like most so speed is not an issue
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote feijoa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2015 at 11:12pm
feijoa View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Otto Otto wrote:

Originally posted by feijoa feijoa wrote:

More than welcome, what area you in ? I'm on the shore if you wanted to view.

might do mate im also on the shore so that works will call
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Taking Time Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2015 at 1:23pm
Taking Time View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I've just installed the lonestar 1000SD (small drum) has the drum from the 600 model but the motor and gearbox from the 1000 so better for tight spaces.
I was originally wanting a windlass too but had the same fall issues as you.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote captaingraham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2015 at 9:25pm
captaingraham View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I had one on my launch and found the retrieve speed as the anchor came over the bowsprit was way to fast, ripped a D shackle apart once and lost the anchor. $200 to replace, second hand. The retrieve speed increases as the rope/chain builds up on the drum. I would not buy another one but that is only my opinion. Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Obsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2015 at 10:12pm
Obsessed View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

What boat have you fitted that too?

Slightly smaller would fit me better, problem i have is getting the unit in the hole while having the drum centered. at this stage looks like might have to cut hole inside of anchor well, not really that keen to create a inlet for water into the front of the boat and not much of a fiberglass whiz to alter things. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2015 at 8:07pm
Otto View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Here's mine, on a 5.8 Gamefisher

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Taking Time Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2015 at 4:40pm
Taking Time View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by Obsessed Obsessed wrote:

What boat have you fitted that too?

Slightly smaller would fit me better, problem i have is getting the unit in the hole while having the drum centered. at this stage looks like might have to cut hole inside of anchor well, not really that keen to create a inlet for water into the front of the boat and not much of a fiberglass whiz to alter things. 

Mine's on a 7m whitepointer.

I welded a 'v' shaped plate into the well to create a floor to bolt the winch to instead of having it hang off the bulkhead - which was only 3mm.

I also welded the pin on the SS shackle between the anchor and the swivel, then cut the end of the pin off as it kept catching.

I do agree with the comment about the anchor coming in fast when the drum is full, would be nice to have 2 speed for that last little bit.

Here's the only pic I've got at the moment.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Floor It..! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2016 at 11:33am
Floor It..! View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

hi Taking Time.
I've got a 7m White Pointer too and going through the process of trying to decide what brand drum winch to go with.
Thought I'd check in with you to see how yours is going, given that our boats are the same.
Welding a plate in the well sounds like a good idea too.
Did you go free-fall? I'm often anchoring up to 45m so need to decide on that.
I see you have left your anchor well lid off, how come?
I'd really appreciate any comments; bring on the good, the bad, the ugly!
cheers mate
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote infini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2016 at 1:31pm
infini View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Boss has an SF600 and has the Lewmar V700G windlass installed - no issues with clearance eh 
Photographer
Fishing addict
Cold beer enthusiast
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote letsgetem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2016 at 7:29pm
letsgetem View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Heres a point. I had a Kiwi Winch 500W wide drum, worked well. Speed was max 25m/min. I found it tricky bringing the anchor up over the bow roller, because it went bloody fast and if you weren't careful came firing over towards the windscreen.  Im thinking about getting another winch. See Viper winches - but the lowest power is 1000W and its speed is 40m/min. I think that's too fast, and would make retrieval too hard.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Obsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2016 at 9:46pm
Obsessed View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I ended up in stalling a viper mini. Has a 1000w watt motor but a small drum. It came with 100m 6m braid and 8m of 8ml short link chain. It fits in the well, has to be off center by 15ml that doesnt seem to be an issue. 100m of braid is too much as unless chain spreads evenly tends to jam up against mounting plate. Will take off 20m at some stage as will never need that much rope anyway.
All in all am happy with it, keeps me off the bow.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote mmmm... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2016 at 8:54pm
mmmm... View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hey guys you should be able to fit a DC motor speed controller. Kind of like a light dimmer but suitable for the motor your controlling. An industrial motor shop should be able to help you out. I fitted one to a conveyor line in a packaging machine. Wasn't overly expensive
buying usless exspensive fishing gear is my second favourite hobby.
Page  12>