Frewza Alloy Pontoon Boats

Page  <1 119120121122123 195>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kiwis fly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2014 at 8:28pm
Kiwis fly View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Yes I'm getting the F14 Fisher cuddy :-)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Southern_Jez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2014 at 8:46am
Southern_Jez View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Went to Lake Manapouri on Saturday for a work fishing competition, we hit the water before first light and managed to get across the lake in pretty good conditions ...

... then the wind picked up from the south and the lake developed a 1 to 2 meter chop between us and home. Forecast for the day was a little light on the 8 knot breeze, was more like 20 knots. 

For those not familiar with Lake Manapouri it has something like 30 forested islands in it, with a nice fish in the bin already (2.9kg Rainbow, got 3rd) for the competition we decided to endure the lake and make our way home before it got worse. Using the Islands for shelter we had to punch into some fairly serious chop but the F14 Dinghy handled it pretty bloody well. While it wasnt fast going, and it was a bit bruising, and it sure as hell wasnt dry ... we didn't take any waves over the front and we managed to make it back in better shape than a couple of the bigger boats crews.

We became the talk of the bar that night, with everyone being very impressed with how my F14 dinghy handled the conditions, there were a lot of "if I were younger I would have me one of them" comments (a lot of the guys are 60+) ...

However, after that, I have decided my next boat is going to be the F18 hardtop ... by the time I can afford one of them I will be the guy saying "When I was younger I had one of them dinghies!"

Sunday, we hit Lake Te Anau in glassy smooth conditions for some much better and more relaxing fishing. She'll be smoked rainbows for dinner tonight Big smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2014 at 10:07pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

wot sort of boats do the 60 + guys have. Be interesting to learn exactly what sort of conditions the f14 hull can handle. Quite a lot i would say. Next day on Te Anu was glassy conditions. How did it handle that. Never have glassy conditions up here so would not  know what to expect from my Frewza in glassy conditionsWink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Southern_Jez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2014 at 7:00am
Platinum
Platinum

the other fellas were all on 6m+ fiberglass boats, and one fella on a Bluefin 720 hardtop. I think the issue was that the swell was too short for the lengths of their boats, whereas the my wee boat would go up and down between peaks, theres was just long enough to have the stern up on a peak when the next one hits the bow and goes over the top.

Glassy conditions were ... interesting ... i recommend them ;)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Southern_Jez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2014 at 6:19pm
Platinum
Platinum

Took the boat down to the workshop to get a pinhole in one of the welds sorted, Mike (who put my boat together) was gutted about it. All fixed up for nix, and they tidied up the prop which took a bit of a hammering in the stones at the lake. I will drop off a box of beer next Tuesday for their troubles. 

Got an idea of the cost of a side console conversion from dinghy as well, about $1500 not including any costs associated with the motor.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2014 at 4:51pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Now thats what i call standing by your product.  Comes from Frewza having pride in what they do.

Would have thought that the 60+ guys would have downsized  boat size. Having big heavy boats like those ones could be difficult to handle .

Thats what i like about the F14. Can handle anything i would want to be out in whether my boat was small or large.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Southern_Jez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2014 at 8:17am
Platinum
Platinum

I can see why they have their bigger boats ... more comfortable, more room, and they all handle the strait down here pretty bloody well. These guys dont go out as often as I do, and they never go out solo, fishing for them is a social experience (as opposed to an addiction for me), so the extra room and a few luxuries are what they are after.

Personally the F18 or 605 Fisher will do that for me ... now to scrounge up $50k to get me one :)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Southern_Jez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2014 at 3:31pm
Platinum
Platinum

Any recommendations for a fixed mount radio on the F14 dinghy? And how best to set it up (photos would be appreciated)?

Looking to upgrade radio before embarking on an adventure to the bottom of Stewart Island ... the 5w handheld just wont cut the mustard down there I dont think, and I'd rather not find out when I'm down there.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dream Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2014 at 12:54pm
Dream View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Recently got a 4.3 Sea Surge pontoon, was planning on putting in a center console. how much do ya reckon that would cost me? currently based in dunners :\
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2014 at 2:18pm
OneWayTraffic View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

You're taking a F14 dinghy over the strait?

Shocked
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote of2fsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2014 at 4:51pm
of2fsh View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Southern_Jez Southern_Jez wrote:

Any recommendations for a fixed mount radio on the F14 dinghy? And how best to set it up (photos would be appreciated)?

Looking to upgrade radio before embarking on an adventure to the bottom of Stewart Island ... the 5w handheld just wont cut the mustard down there I dont think, and I'd rather not find out when I'm down there.

Oh man thats awesome...very jealous
2009 and 2010 BERKLEY SOFTBAIT COMP CHAMPS,Runner up 2013 ( solo),winner 2013/14 longest kingfish nz fishing competition
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Southern_Jez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2014 at 5:00pm
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by OneWayTraffic OneWayTraffic wrote:

You're taking a F14 dinghy over the strait?

Shocked

Already done it a few times, just as far as Halfmoon Bay, thats about as far as I'm keen to go on a tote tank (usually refill tank about 15 litres at Oban). Obviously I need decent weather windows, but they aren't as far apart as we lead everyone to believe, thats how we keep the fishing down here so good, scare everyone away with horror stories about weather ;)

However, if you think that is an eyebrow raising trip, we are also planning a run to Solander Island.

A lot of planning is going into these trips, Stewart Island will be a piece of cake, but Solander will involve a friend on his much larger boat (Cray Boat that will fit mine on his deck when the pots are all down)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fissure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2014 at 12:27pm
Fissure View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

anyone else notice the poor drainage into the bilge/pod on their F14? just the way it is/designed. i could remove the small platform under the bilge pump and sikaflex it directly to the floor of the pod. drastic though and would only gain an inch or two of depth in there?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote flyfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2014 at 11:16pm
flyfisher View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I ended up using self tappers and silicone and attaching the base of the bilge pump direct to the sump - works good, never get any water in to really worry about it, infact not sure I've ever run the pump while underway? Just now and then to test it. What it really needs is a sump hole within the sump area!
https://www.youtube.com/user/troutboynz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fissure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2014 at 9:34am
Fissure View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

roger that mate, will pop up soon to the man cave for a nosey
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fissure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2014 at 8:50pm
Fissure View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

anyone fitted an in-line one way valve to their bilge pump outlet hose?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote flyfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2014 at 9:13pm
flyfisher View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thought about it mate, as quite a bit backflows once you stop the pump, Barton's have some, pretty cheap, might have to give it a try, presume it will very slowly trickle back down to the pump though?
https://www.youtube.com/user/troutboynz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fissure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2014 at 9:19pm
Fissure View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

yeah dunno mate. i had a play around today and removed the pump off the wee platform. i'll sikaflex it to the bottom of the pod next to the platform and maybe try the valve as well. it should suck the pod dry(ish). that's all that can be done if the pump is to remain inside the pod, which it will.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Toyz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2014 at 9:29am
Toyz View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hey guys just afew questions to all f14 HSD dinghy owners, how well does the 30hp merc push it along? My usual load is 3 people plus gear. 
Also when ordering from new is there any features/upgrades you would recommend getting?
I'm based in Dunedin and if anyone around Dunedin has one I could check out as I haven't seen one in the flesh yet I would greatly appreciate it. Cheers!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Southern_Jez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2014 at 9:54am
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Toyz Toyz wrote:

Hey guys just afew questions to all f14 HSD dinghy owners, how well does the 30hp merc push it along? My usual load is 3 people plus gear. 
Also when ordering from new is there any features/upgrades you would recommend getting?
I'm based in Dunedin and if anyone around Dunedin has one I could check out as I haven't seen one in the flesh yet I would greatly appreciate it. Cheers!

The 30hp merc pushes it along just fine with 3+gear, you wont set any speed records, but tops out at about 40kmh is perfectly fine imo (tops out about 50kmh solo)
I would ask for a storage container under the rear bench seat. And i would replace the middle bench seat with a chilly bin running "north/south", this makes it easier to get around the dinghy, and also provides the other seat.
I would get the seat cushions as well ... learned that one the hard way.
Oh and get the anchor well covered and turned into a seat as well ... the kids love that as it gives them all the shelter there is on a dinghy.

Page  <1 119120121122123 195>