Boat Reviews

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wahoo Woman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Boat Reviews
    Posted: 28 Oct 2010 at 3:20pm
Wahoo Woman View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Just wanted to let you know we have lots of boat reviews available to view on fishing.net.nz you can get to these by clicking here . You can view these in alphabetical order by clicking on the title button above the boat names Thumbs Up

Any feedback on this section of fishing.net.nz is greatly appreciated Smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CEEBEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2010 at 12:11pm
CEEBEE View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Excellent thread WW, need to update the reviews to 2010 otherwise awesome.
I STARTED THE DAY WITH NO FISH AND I STILL HAVE PLENTY LEFT
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote letsgetem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2011 at 12:01pm
letsgetem View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The boat reviews in magazines, are mostly from short try-outs - ie not from experience of owning the boat. It would be great, if there were reviews produced by actual owners, using the boat for what we want to hear, fishing. Each model reviewed could have a "topic" posted, and subsequently other people could add words of wisdom.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Moki Marko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2011 at 1:44pm
Moki Marko View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by letsgetem letsgetem wrote:

The boat reviews in magazines, are mostly from short try-outs - ie not from experience of owning the boat. It would be great, if there were reviews produced by actual owners, using the boat for what we want to hear, fishing. Each model reviewed could have a "topic" posted, and subsequently other people could add words of wisdom.

Agree 100 percent -  I don't know how many reviews i've read that start out: "it was a flat calm day on the Waitamata... "   you read 3 pages that go on and on about the number of rod holders and the colour of the squabs, anyone can find that out for themselves by visiting the boat shop, potential buys want to know how the boat handles and you aint gunna find that out on a "flat day on the Waitamata"

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big -Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2011 at 3:56pm
Big -Dave View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

In my experience, most people rave about whatever they own, not wanting to admit that they made a mistake buying it...
What one bloke thinks is a good ride, might be a crap ride to someone else..
you can't fix an idiot with duct tape, but it does muffle them for a while...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2011 at 4:18pm
feeder View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yea the review on the boat that I eventually ended up with made the statement that, no matter what the test driver did there was no way he could get 1 spot of water on the windscreen, he's never been on the west coast LOL.

Cheers
The only bar to frequent is the Kawhia Bar
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote NZfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2011 at 8:40am
NZfrnd View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

i havnt owned a boat until i bought my current one. when i went out with a friend, i thought the boat was bouncing on the waves and i told him the ride seem to be rough, he told me, its cutting thru the chop fine and that i should try a tinny before knowing what a rough ride is! I guess if the person writing the review has had experiences on different boats and conditions, then it would be good. else he/she wouldnt have the complete picture. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote onboard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2012 at 8:36pm
onboard View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

hoping to see a column of performance(revs, speed mph, liters/hour) on every boat reviewed, those reviewed as if they were trying to hide the figures.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Grinna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2012 at 5:25pm
Grinna View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi, I forwarded a response to admin some weeks ago, suggesting some ideas and have yet even to receive an acknowledgement of any sort.Big smile
Composite Trailerboat inspections
Waitakare
mob.021 618-971
[email protected]
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Grunta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2012 at 6:19pm
Grunta View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Yes you did Peter and I had noted your comments but that was as far as it went - apologies for being slack!  Our reviews are provided by 3rd party publications as you might have noticed - we don't have the resources to do our own. On the 'to-do' list is to add a comments sections to all our articles, including boat reviews which will go some way to providing some user comments.

I agree that boat reviews generally don't give you the real oil - I can't remember seeing a bad one. They really are a 'feature' review and maybe user comments might provide some interesting expansion to a rather traditional way of reviewing boats.
Online...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote letsgetem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2012 at 7:02pm
letsgetem View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yes - that sounds worthwhile - a boat review by someone experienced - followed by comments by owners. Both points of view. However, I feel boat reviews should be less biased, ie prepared to be honest about shortcomings, instead of glossing over them.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Beanfishing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2013 at 1:27am
Beanfishing View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi all, I apologise if this isn't the right place to be asking this question, I know about as much as forums as I do boats!!  but I'm after your guys thoughts/experience.

I've been burnt once already by not doing my homework and rushing out buying an old bayliner, so want to get it right this time.

I'm looking at a 5.3mtr 2002 Fi Glass firestar with a 90hp 2002 rebuilt Honda. I want a boat that I can use mainly for family outings, biscuit, watersking but more importantly also use to go fishing with the boys as well, including the sea....If I ever get back that way (currently Central Otago).

Can anyone tell me about the motor are they any good, anything I need to be wary of? I've heard that they are heavier and although may be more economical are more sluggish than a 2 stroke, but then on the other hand I hear they are the ducks nuts...confusing

Any info about the 2002 Firestar would be appreciated as well, ie fishing room.

Budget is $20K

Thanks for your help
Bean

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cashedup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2013 at 7:37am
Cashedup View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi Bean, my stepfather has a Firestar of that year, but with a 90 2stroke Merc. I am really impressed with the boat. Rides amazingly well, and really stable. The 2 stroke is a perfect match for it I think. Don't know how the extra weight of a 4 stroke would effect the handling of the boat.

Fishing room would be my only concern. If it's just you and 1 mate going out, and you both just like to sit in your seats and relax with a rod in hand, then not too bad, but if there's more than 2 of you, or you like to get up and walk round, or chase kingies round the boat then I think you'd find them a bit small. They do have a fairly large cabin area, so that's where you loose your fishing room (but that's like a lot of fibreglass boats I guess)
Couldn't comment on outboard, no experience with those sorry.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2013 at 9:12am
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

We have that 90 Honda on a 6m Ramco. It isn't a speed demon, but it powers it just fine. On a 5.3m hull it should be plenty.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2013 at 10:04am
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Wondering why a 2002 honda would be rebuilt.  Thought they would have lasted longer than that.?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Beanfishing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2013 at 7:00pm
Bronze
Bronze

G'day thanks for that, the big thing for me at the moment I guess, is how the hull will handle a bit of lake chop, with the wife and two kids on board, so from what you're saying pretty much sounds like what i'm after. Fishing wise I would like to be able to take it out to sea on the odd occassion probably with a couple of mates.

I live In Otago so no kingies mostly blue cod, dont know if I would be keen enough to take it to far out to sea, so the boat sounds about right for me.

thanks for your advice, much appreciated
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Beanfishing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2013 at 7:04pm
Bronze
Bronze

HI thanks for replying

I've heard they're pretty economical which I like the sound of, especailly for trawling for the odd trout, which I do a fair bit of. But I do have an auxiliary from my last boat which is pretty good so it's not the be all and end all.

Family man though and still like to do the odd bit of watersking towing the kids around on the biscuit, do you think it will be powerful enough for that as well?

In regards to the motor being rebuilt not sure why, I did wonder the same thing. Apparently it was sold by Marlborough marine to replace a damaged one. I'm going to give them a ring tomorrow and see if I can find out more.

Thanks for all your replies
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Snapperoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2014 at 9:55am
Snapperoo View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Just seen this topic and couldn't agree more. I have been a reviewer of various things and know the golden rule: if you burn the guy who gave you the freebie, you won't get any more.

The only worthwhile reviews are those that are independent of any manufacturer, ie, the reviewer paid to see the movie, bought the reel, or travelled at their own expense.

Now, to boats. I have just bought my second Surtees Workmates 5.5, so I obviously rate them.

The new one has a portofino stern and looks smarter than the old one. It is well finished and a very soft ride, running nicely on a Suzuki 90hp, which is very economical even after just a few hours running.

I reckon I'm getting 20% more than my old Honda 90hp (carbureted) with perhaps a fraction less speed although the motor isn't run in and possibly under propped.

Most things in life are a compromise - the art of the possible.

What you get in a 5.5 Workmates is an incredibly versatile boat. Great ride, economical to run, well made and a breeze to tow.

My old one did heaps of blue water fishing, and we never felt in any danger, although we kept an eagle eye on the weather.

The new one may be a bit better, early days yet but there seem to be some subtle refinements that certainly make it drier.

The folding hardtop setup has been refined and seems sturdier, if more fiddly. I think I preferred the old set up.

The general finish is better, with metal rod holders, much more deck grip on the sides, and better rails on the bow and stern.

The see-through hatch cover is a great feature - still big enough to let someone my size (192cm) work the anchor easily. And the anchor well is bigger on the newer model, too.

The vinyl seats and squab covers are of a higher quality, and the whole set up feels just that bit nicer than my 2004 version, which was great.

But no boat is perfect. The fine entry bow isn't the best in a big following sea, although we've never had a problem.

The narrow, almost non existent chines may mean a soft ride, but they don't do a great job of deflecting spray although the clever spray rails sort most of it out. And if it is wet, we just pull the hardtop down and have a dry, enclosed space. Shame about the guys in the back.

Joke - the 90 Suzuki is ok for 2 or 3 people but if you want to take out 4 get a 115, of even better a hardtop with a 150.

Other good features are lots of storage for a 5.5 metre boat, a great live bait setup with a foldable, latched walkthru transom.

The flooding keel is still the standout feature and enables Surtees to sell an amazingly soft riding boat that is fairly stable at rest. Note the word fairly. It isn't a Stabicraft.

My boats have both had fold down windscreens that let me get the boat in a standard garage. Mind you, I almost got caught out by the length and I have about 30cm to spare before the skeg punches a hole in the gib.

So there you are. An unbiased review. The best boat is the one that suits your needs.

Mine are a boat that I can handle by myself, tow easily (my Toyota Surf doesn't even know there's a boat on the back), do blue water in the right conditions, and one that is economical to run - the Suzuki seems to be doing just over 3kms to a litre.

I did look at the Extreme 570 but couldn't justify the extra $12k. It was a nicer looking boat, probably drier and at least as good a ride.

But not $12k's worth. The layout didn't seem as well planned or as user friendly especially for rod storage.

Also, the dealer was recommending fitting permatrims or some similar to the engines to stop porpoising. That didn't sound too great.

So I didn't go down that route, reluctantly as they look stunning and have a good name.

Anyway, so far so good with Surtees number two. I know the boat and am more than happy, although of course it's the same old.

Hope this is of some use to somebody.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rahui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2014 at 11:12am
rahui View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Snapperoo Snapperoo wrote:

Just seen this topic and couldn't agree more.......

I am impressed, don,t get to many Surtees owners putting out the good and the bad. I like the strength of the hull, 6 stringers and they carry a good rep, not sold on the ballast but I probably don,t understand it enough .

I wil post an unbiased opinion of my 495 Aqualine soon. cheers
I will post an unbiased opinion
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ferk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2014 at 8:06pm
Ferk View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi folks,
Im knew to this site so not sure if this is where I am supposed to ask questions. I am trying to find out how to contact the Rayglass Cruisemaster Club and join them as we have just purchased one. Any leads or contact details would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Ferk.
Page  12>