Vinyl wraps alternative to paint?

Page  <12
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cashedup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2012 at 7:19pm
Cashedup View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by flyfisher flyfisher wrote:

Have got the job booked in through Speedy signs in Wellington next week using 7yr guaranteed vinyl (think it's cast) and they said if garaged would likely get 10 years out of it, but I'd surely have sold the boat before then!

The quote looks to be very competitive at $295 + gst and they will do it at my place in the garage. (They are a sign company I use in my own business so getting a slightly better deal). They said they will do using either the wire tape of knife, once they see the job. I'm going to come in 10mm from the welds for ease of application.

What's become of me, I always thought painted alloy boats we're for show pony's and not real fisho's and now I'm doing it!!!... I think it does look great and surely improves resale IMO.
I agree with Wetdream, price is BLOODY cheap - I wouldn't do it for that either!!! However I have vinyl on my current boat, now 12 years old and still as good as the day it was applied, but it has faded some, and it's been garaged its whole life.
As long as you aren't going over nylac or anything only problem you could be left with in cutting on the boat is if you ever stripped off vinyl, you can be left with knife marks on the ali depending on how hard they pressed on the knife.
Go for it flyfisher - and post us pics of the results - especially if you end up going for the fish scales!!!! Nothing wrong with being proud of your boat!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jonocoogee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2012 at 7:52pm
jonocoogee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I would double check speedy's guarantee, as 7 years is a very long time for a gurantee. (this is not a dig at their work.) I guess if it faults you always have that to come back on, But say a vinyl has a 7yr life, as soon as you applicate it to a surface the life then shortens. If you are wanting any sort of fades/gradients, the vinyl will need to be printed, as apposed to coloured vinyl. Solvent printers shorten the life of the vinyl as the solvents adhere into the film. They will also fade quicker, especially reds/yellows. 

I have done a few boat graphics for mates, and use a laminate on them, it doesn't make them bulletproof, but it does give them a bit more resistance, especially to a scrubbing brush etc. And have stoneguarded areas such as below the anchor and the side of the boat where rookies have a habit of swinging sinkers into it. 

Like Cashedup said, areas that are facing up will fade faster than areas that are vertical. 

Generally a good signwriter will be able to cut through the vinyl without cutting through your ali. So them cutting on your boat 'shouldn't' be a bit deal if they are careful. 

If you are using a plain colour vinyl, check that it is petrol resistant as well. Nothing worse than spilling a few drops and having it eat into your nice new vinyl work. An avery 900 series coloured vinyl is petrol resistant and that is specified by the manufacturer. 

Would be keen to see the finished results also, have fun Thumbs Up
TAS - Its a real disease
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jet_ski_fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2012 at 8:35pm
Jet_ski_fisher View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Cashedup yes that was the sad part of it all, but they said they have a top coat they add them self's, when they do the cast, so will go with that instead. i have 4 samples and will place them on the top and sides and see what happens over two months before committing on vinyl. but i did notice how thin they are to....2 or 3 years and will replace it as needed..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote skidoggg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2012 at 8:58pm
skidoggg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Have seen a few boats with vinyl instead of paint lately, has anyone had this done and what are the pitfalls? Looks far more durable than paint on an alloy boat, I have a pretty basic cabin and combings (2 x panels each side) I'd like to try myself, having done a bit of vinyl work in the past.

Was thinking of buying the sheet - adhereing - then carefully trimming to 2-3mm inside the weld lines? Any sign writers on here done this before - what surface prep is needed on clean ali? - a light sand and alcohol rub? Here's what I want.

i prefer the top picture  and the sides towards the back could get hammered with jigs , sinkers and flapping fish  anyway
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cashedup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2012 at 9:52pm
Cashedup View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Hard_core_gamer Hard_core_gamer wrote:

Cashedup yes that was the sad part of it all, but they said they have a top coat they add them self's, when they do the cast, so will go with that instead. i have 4 samples and will place them on the top and sides and see what happens over two months before committing on vinyl. but i did notice how thin they are to....2 or 3 years and will replace it as needed..
1 - 2 months won't be enough to show up any problems. You're going to need 1 - 2 years.
We also use a spray on clear over vinyl but its purpose is to protect the ink on printed graphics, not for protecting unprinted cast vinyl - and even our spray on clear voids any vinyl warrantees - we only use it on the cheap and nasty jobs!!!
If it was me I'd go for the cast vinyl without the spray on clear. For those areas that get a hard time cover them with 3M stoneguard vinyl. Its way tougher than any spray on clear.

$645 sounds about right for 14mtrs cast applied to the boat - without seeing pics to see whats invloved.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cashedup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2012 at 9:55pm
Cashedup View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by skidoggg skidoggg wrote:

Have seen a few boats with vinyl instead of paint lately, has anyone had this done and what are the pitfalls? Looks far more durable than paint on an alloy boat, I have a pretty basic cabin and combings (2 x panels each side) I'd like to try myself, having done a bit of vinyl work in the past.

Was thinking of buying the sheet - adhereing - then carefully trimming to 2-3mm inside the weld lines? Any sign writers on here done this before - what surface prep is needed on clean ali? - a light sand and alcohol rub? Here's what I want.

i prefer the top picture  and the sides towards the back could get hammered with jigs , sinkers and flapping fish  anyway
Sorry Flyfisher, I thought you were pretty much wrapping the whole boat. Are you just doing the blue bits?? If thats the case your price you have is probably a fair one. For those sides towards the back maybe get some Stoneguard over those. I put it round the top of my boat and its protected those areas heaps.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote flyfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2012 at 8:29am
flyfisher View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Just the side combings and cabin side, pretty sure can get away with 600mm roll going by my measurements. I like the laminate idea, have used the spray in the past on printed vinyl to stop fading, it was a 3M product from memory and it worked, but offered no protection from chips. 
In regards to fittings, do they have to come completley off such as the nav lights, or can the be loosened and a slit applied?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Moonlighter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2012 at 1:42pm
Moonlighter View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi Cashed up

You mentioned:

"I'm also applying the stoneguard film to the sides and front of hull where it gets a hard time from stone chips when towing."

Can you give me some more info re the "Stoneguard" stuff? Is is the go for protecting the painted sides up towards the bow end on my Surtees? I take it that it is some kind of clear vinyl film...

I found a link locally and have emailed them for some info re cost and availability, but would appreciate comments on how good it is, whether you should do the whole sides or just towards the bow end where stone chips seem to be the biggest problem.

I am towing the boat about 1500km next year from home up to Weipa in Cape York so want to sort something before then.

Cheers

ML
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jet_ski_fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2012 at 7:09pm
Jet_ski_fisher View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

cashedup it is just the sides from the water line up to the gunnels. sad part is, is if we did the prep acid wash more prep i can get it painted for 700 gst included.. yet all i have to do is acid wash filler if nes, and then apply cast. they will do it in the price and has to be warm weather or it wont work..we are going the channel cast as it allows the air bubbles to be squished out better:) and going from the sample looks the good's reason why we are doing 1-2 months is see what happens when it has been outside day in day out rain or shine :) 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jonocoogee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2012 at 7:20pm
jonocoogee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Monnlighter, Stoneguard is a film made by 3m, most commonly put on the front of bonnets/front bumpers etc to protect paint from flying stones. 

Most signage companies will apply this for you. Not sure how the pricing is in cleveland, but it does take a bit of work to get on to complex curves. 

Flyfisher, for the laminate it depends on what brand of vinyl they are using, a standard laminate will come in WAAAAY cheaper than a stoneguard, but will only give you basic protection. Also a lot of laminates are no uv rated so they do not offer any more anti fade life for your vinyl. I would not put printed graphics on a boat/car without a laminate, they just get soo much weather it would scratch the inks very quickly. 

As for putting them on without taking off light etc, Usually you can pop out a nav light and make a slit and pop the light back in, Sometimes nav lights have a little plug in the back so you can take them off the wires easily and re install them easily. 

TAS - Its a real disease
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cashedup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2012 at 8:32pm
Cashedup View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Moonlighter Moonlighter wrote:

Hi Cashed up

You mentioned:

"I'm also applying the stoneguard film to the sides and front of hull where it gets a hard time from stone chips when towing."

Can you give me some more info re the "Stoneguard" stuff? Is is the go for protecting the painted sides up towards the bow end on my Surtees? I take it that it is some kind of clear vinyl film...

I found a link locally and have emailed them for some info re cost and availability, but would appreciate comments on how good it is, whether you should do the whole sides or just towards the bow end where stone chips seem to be the biggest problem.

I am towing the boat about 1500km next year from home up to Weipa in Cape York so want to sort something before then.

Cheers

ML
The stoneguard is a 3M product. Any decent sign company should be able to supply it. I've just priced a guy today wanting some for his top dresser plane. 1220mm wide stoneguard costs around $140pr mtr from memory. It is bloody good. I've had it on the top of my boat round the anchor and the gunnels, and we sit cray pots on the gunnels sometimes. Been on 12 years and is starting to tear in places, but paint is like new underneath. Would definitely stop chips on the front of the hull when towing. I'm wrapping the bow on my new boat for that very reason. You could do the whole sides, but pretty damned expensive. I'd just do the areas that will have the worst wear.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cashedup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2012 at 8:38pm
Cashedup View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Just the side combings and cabin side, pretty sure can get away with 600mm roll going by my measurements. I like the laminate idea, have used the spray in the past on printed vinyl to stop fading, it was a 3M product from memory and it worked, but offered no protection from chips. 
In regards to fittings, do they have to come completley off such as the nav lights, or can the be loosened and a slit applied?

As per Jonocoogee, what he says is right, good to know theres a few of us on the same page JonocoogeeWink
And yep, without know exact measurements looks like 600 wide would do you just fine.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cashedup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2012 at 8:42pm
Cashedup View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Hard_core_gamer Hard_core_gamer wrote:

cashedup it is just the sides from the water line up to the gunnels. sad part is, is if we did the prep acid wash more prep i can get it painted for 700 gst included.. yet all i have to do is acid wash filler if nes, and then apply cast. they will do it in the price and has to be warm weather or it wont work..we are going the channel cast as it allows the air bubbles to be squished out better:) and going from the sample looks the good's reason why we are doing 1-2 months is see what happens when it has been outside day in day out rain or shine :) 

Good luck with the project. Ask about the 3M Comply V3. I think it's available in the colours (need to check folder at work to confirm) but it works on the same air release principal for the bubbles, but the way the adhesive is layed down means you can't detect the small channel indentations when job is done. Minor detail, but costs no more.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote flyfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2012 at 6:32pm
flyfisher View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Quick update, done today, awesome result for the price, looks like a new boat with undoubtedly a higher resale I'd imagine. The vinyl is much thicker than I envisaged and far more glossy than paint IMO, if it lasts 3 years I'll be happy!

The vinyl is definatley "CAST", has it written on the backing paper.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Garry 23041 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2014 at 6:22am
Garry 23041 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

That looks really smart....

I have a moored boat that needs a hull paint and i'm tempted but may not get the life outside all the time?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Clutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2014 at 2:51am
Clutch View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Outstanding! Looks great.
Page  <12