Fibreglass hull lifespan?

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Monsterbishi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fibreglass hull lifespan?
    Posted: 13 Oct 2012 at 5:50pm
Monsterbishi View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I'm in the midst of buying the first boat for my family, on a budget as always I'm looking at GOP boats of late 70's vintage, ie GlassKraft, Fleetline, etc - and the thought has popped into my head "Do the hulls have a reasonably defined lifespan?"

ie - even if it looks ok now, no soft spots, etc - if I buy a 35 year old hull can I expect to be limited in how much longer it will last for? I'm planning on keeping the boat for up to ten years.

The forum search feature isn't helping me at all, and google has fibreglass hulls as lasting anything from ten years up to infinity...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2012 at 6:04pm
Capt Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Good question. I have just got a 35yr old Condorcraft, and it seems to be fine.... thusly farly anyhow....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2012 at 7:06pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Good question Monsterbishi maybe PM Too Much and ask him as hes a boatbuilder.Thumbs Up
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Monsterbishi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2012 at 7:14pm
Gold
Gold

Capital idea Thumbs Up

Have PM'd him with a invite to the thread...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2012 at 8:01pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Monsterbishi Monsterbishi wrote:

Capital idea Thumbs Up

Have PM'd him with a invite to the thread...

Excellent, mate you should see the fibreglass boats he's made.ExclamationCool
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Monsterbishi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2012 at 9:05pm
Gold
Gold

My wife is already rolling her eyes at my current prospects, she may just escalate to homocide if I get any other bright ideas in my skull LOL

Funnily enough, my shopping all started with earnest after I had entirely too much fun installing a new deck hatch in one of my father in-laws boats after I put one of my hoofs through the old one Clap
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Grinna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2012 at 10:53pm
Grinna View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I have been with a resin and glass supplier in a technical role for 20years. I have just purchased a 40year old 6metre Fi-Glass boat. We surveyed it prior to purchase and it is in near perfect structural condition. However we knew what we were looking for! There were certainly quite a few great looking, but disasters waiting to happen..........If anyone wishes to message me I am happy to talk and advise via ph.....cheers Peter Smile
Composite Trailerboat inspections
Waitakare
mob.021 618-971
[email protected]
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Dagwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2012 at 8:08am
Dagwood View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I'm looking at GOP boats of late 70's vintage, ie GlassKraft, Fleetline, etc - 

Very small point... as I understand it, GOP normally refers to "Glass on Plywood" while GRP is "Glass Reinforced Plastic". Quite different beasts...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Monsterbishi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2012 at 8:36am
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Dagwood Dagwood wrote:

I'm looking at GOP boats of late 70's vintage, ie GlassKraft, Fleetline, etc - 

Very small point... as I understand it, GOP normally refers to "Glass on Plywood" while GRP is "Glass Reinforced Plastic". Quite different beasts...

Indeed, Lets just go with changing the question to "I'm probably going to buy a boat that was made in the late 70's, its hull involves fibreglass, how long do I have until either type is considered of an age where failure is likely to occur from age, rather than use?"

And to add to things now then, were 70's hulls predominantely GOP or GRP/FRP?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Don18025 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2012 at 8:56am
Don18025 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I have a 38 year old one owner FiGlass Fireball, which my son now uses.
Floor shows a few stress cracks, but hull is still doing a good job keeping the water out.
Always been powered by 40hp, never any more.
I knew one of these hulls that had a 115hp on the back, which I am not sure if it is still around!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Insufficient Funds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2012 at 10:28am
Insufficient Funds View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

My Marlborough is a 73 and still has solid transom and floor. Totally watertight although there are stress cracks in the gelcoat in places around the hull cap.
I dont know everything, I just know what I know
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Grinna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2012 at 10:47am
Grinna View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

many were raced with 135 mecurys  fitted.Thumbs Up
Waitakare
mob.021 618-971
[email protected]
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fauxpas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2012 at 1:17pm
fauxpas View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

The fibreglas seems to last forever. The weak points seem to be the wooden bits such as floors and transoms wich in older boats are often wood enclosed in glass.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Grinna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2012 at 1:56pm
Grinna View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I suggest screw in 180mm inspection ports which can be open during storage to allow ventilation as moisture in the areas from condensation will initiate mould and problems in the laminate! Thumbs Up
Waitakare
mob.021 618-971
[email protected]
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sambo888 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2012 at 7:00pm
Sambo888 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I just brought a malborough and it is very strong and good in the rough but I had to replace the floor which is the case in most of those old boats as the top floor they put in was used with untreated wood which just rots away I took my boat to a boat builder for advice he said just put a new floor over the top so i sanded down the old floor down and gorilla glued down 12mm treated ply wood then used chopstrand fiberglass over the top and it is very strong there is no way it will be breaking anytime soon
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Grinna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2012 at 10:46pm
Grinna View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hmmmmmmmmmmm so what happens when the rotting subfloor delaminates away from the underfloor bearers?Ermm
Waitakare
mob.021 618-971
[email protected]
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2012 at 9:25am
Blue Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

it becomes spongy simple as that use diamond saw and cat around the edge and lift out, it will be screwed across the bearers so force is needed.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kings Marine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2012 at 3:39pm
Kings Marine View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Older GRP boats tend to suffer from either a soft floor or soft transom.
both are repairable at a cost, but the floor repair is easier to do.
there where some early (80's i think) Fleetlines that where glassed a bit thin in the front quater of the hull
early Glasskrafts 16' had the wooden dash issue with the mounting points pulling out (self tapping screws in the glass)
again fairly easily repaired.
Emoticons
The Mighty Waikato
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Kings-Marine/100476476662857?%3Fref=ts
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Grinna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2012 at 4:16pm
Grinna View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Exactley KM....I've just finished a transom replacement on a 6metre boat.....approx $4500. If this boat had been maintained correctly it is unlikley to have had this problem arise.Angry
Waitakare
mob.021 618-971
[email protected]
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2014 at 9:51am
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Digging up an oldy

What do you look for when checking a transom, just a dull sound around the engine bracket and maybe cracks?

Id imagine a floor is pretty obvious, if its spongy then it needs a fix?
Page  12>