Sea Strike 18 Build Thread

Page  <1 678910>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MarkE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2014 at 7:17pm
MarkE View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by DezzyTooToo DezzyTooToo wrote:

It`s looking rock solid alright , very neat job as well , one could say perfect ? ... !!

MarkE , I see that transom question I asked a year ago ( that long , time flies ) is more appropiate to ask now . So is the cut out for the engine when tilted up or is it walk through ?

Walk through transom mate. Motor will clear it just fine.
Sea Strike 18' Centre Console - Under Construction....Build Thread here
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote J-D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2014 at 9:17pm
J-D View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Looking awesome. Keep up the good work Clap
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2014 at 10:49am
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Looks really great. Super tidy work.

I am intrigued that there doesn't seem to be any solid timber in the 'keel'. Is it just the taped and glassed join? Whilst a bit awkward to do in that type of construction I would have thought that a piece of heavier timber along the inside of the V would have been a good thing to do?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MarkE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2014 at 1:24pm
MarkE View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Boat is designed to commercial standards so im guessing its strong enough without it. As the glass overlaps are on the keel and chines its very strong anyway - 4 layers on the outside and 4 on the inside.

My last stitch and tape boat (Craig Loomes Design) was the same also...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2014 at 1:56pm
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Certainly easier to build that way, and I guess with 8 layers of glass it is going to pretty tough. I have built some sailing dinghys and canoes that are similar construction without any issues, but nothing with decent hp on it that is going to take a continuous pounding. Just shows what a tough build ply and glass can give without lots of extra structure.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Schampy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2014 at 9:40pm
Schampy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Trust me. The way these things are built they are bomb proof. I've got the 16 ft version.
Doing a great job mark. I bet your hanging to get the thing in the water over summer.
Great job.
Regards
Lance.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MegaBite4.6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2014 at 6:38am
MegaBite4.6 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi there

Awesome job on the boat, looks fantastic - have been seriously looking at building stitch and glue boat myself - would you consider this project to be suitable for a first time builder? (do have reasonable diy skills) Was considering a tango skiff - but this looks great! Has way more offshore capability to. And being Australian - I'm assuming the plans are in metric? rather than the feet and inches plans from the US.
Any advice/ideas would be awesome. Cheers!!

Out there doin it!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MarkE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2014 at 8:26pm
MarkE View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hi Lance, just realised who you were :) The way im going launch days a while off yet lol. You must be close to getting yours in the water by now? bet you cant wait!!
Alex, these boats are pretty straight forward to build, you wont have any problems at all. Have replied to your PM also.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote NicoG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2014 at 8:22am
NicoG View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hello all,
I'm new on this website, I'm french: nobody is perfect :) and i' m sorry but my english isn't perfect I try to improve it but it's little bit difficult for me
In fact i prefer mechanic or to do it yourself   my home or other thing
I practice boat and fihing with ultramar shaft 5.5 transon 20° & 90 hp tohatshu TLDI
Since several years i hoppe to built my boat
I think sea strike 18 is perfect plywood and weight = 400kg in comparison my boat weight is 700kg without motor and equipment
Great job fabulous, what hp will you instal on it?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MarkE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2014 at 4:27pm
MarkE View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Floor cleats fitted, Chase tubes in and forward locker sole (under Casting deck) glassed in.
Console almost ready to be wrapped in glass also.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote treedoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2014 at 4:37pm
treedoc View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Supercool Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishing Addiction Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2014 at 9:47pm
Fishing Addiction View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

A lot of blood and sweat has gone into that. Looks amazing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Double Shot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2014 at 5:15am
Double Shot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Great to see she's still coming along, getting closer to being on the water...
70ml of 90deg C water pressurised through 13g of roasted finely ground tamped coffee for 25sec's to make a distinguishing sensory hit called a Double Shot    
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Garry 23041 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2014 at 8:16am
Garry 23041 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Wow Mark nice build.

My neighbour is building a 28' Pelin patrol and as he is a typical farmer not as tidy as your build.

Super clean and nice.

I want to weigh in on the foam thing also.

I remember when I was looking at new Yachts one called Etap was top of my list.

They build glass then and interior shell and inject foam at 3000psi between the two.

Makes a very dry, quiet, unsinkable boat.

I remember the guy from Etap telling me if foam is not injected under great pressure and the right kind of foam, it is not the way to go.

It can water log over time if water is introduced and create condensation in it's cavity etc etc....and bad things happen.

I look forward to more of your build.

Cheers.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote corokid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2014 at 8:50am
corokid View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Well done Mark , good to see the project back in progress
Like the goodies I recently aquired from you , MINT.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote J-D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2014 at 9:08pm
J-D View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Bloody exceptional workmanship right there Mark Clap

Are you keeping a log of your hours of work?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MarkE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2014 at 7:29pm
MarkE View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by D J D J wrote:

Bloody exceptional workmanship right there Mark Clap

Are you keeping a log of your hours of work?

No, havent kept track of the hours, Im overly fussy so its probably not a true indication of what it would take to build anyway

Managed to dry fit the floor and test fit the console, sooo nice being able to stand on a flat surface

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote treedoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2015 at 5:15pm
treedoc View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

How are you getting on Mark?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote MarkE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2015 at 9:21pm
MarkE View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Havent had a lot of time on the boat these last couple of months with xmas and all. Have managed to sort out the underfloor tank though and will be getting that underway shortly. Will be a plastic jobby made by Hercules Tanks in Katkati Should get around 120L if my calcs are correct..Have decided on a 115 4S Suzuki to push it along...
Have also framed up the casting deck and flowcoated the inside cavity, should have the top glued down in the next day or so.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote J-D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2015 at 9:26pm
J-D View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

treedoc must have read my mind . ..was just about to ask the same thing Tongue

Page  <1 678910>