Transducer to high or to low?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sandy ford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Transducer to high or to low?
    Posted: 30 Mar 2015 at 11:08am
sandy ford View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Have just put a new sounder plotter combo on my boat, I have the transducer positioned about half way up the V (same place as the old transducer but on the opposite side) The transducer is sitting entirely below the line of the hull,,, just,,,, It seems to be creating a spray of water at speed, that shoots up, bounces off the motor and into the cockpit,,,, should I move transducer up or down to eliviate this problem??
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ohsoslow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2015 at 11:11am
Ohsoslow View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Up by the sounds of it.. Bottom of transducer shud be just below hull line I believe..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Olfart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2015 at 11:45am
Olfart View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Why did you put the new transducer on the opposite side to the old one?  Was that the wrong side anyway and you are just correcting things or have you not considered prop wash due to the rotation of the propeller?
In my experience trannys can be tricky things to set up and what worked for one model may not necessarily work for another.  I would be inclined to raise the tranny a little as said above - and make sure the trailing end of the tranny angles into the water by a degree or so.
Then again what would I know - I'm not a technician so could be entirely wrong.

Semper in excreta sumus, solum profundum variat....

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MikeAqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2015 at 12:05pm
MikeAqua View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

The side can make a significant difference -according to transducer manufacturers.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sandy ford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2015 at 12:35pm
sandy ford View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I hadnt considered prop wash. im thinking thats probably it...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2015 at 12:40pm
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Post a picture looking from side and back if you can.  What does transducer do as you go faster - does it stop reading? 
My transducer was doing this and shop suggested more of an angle of attack ie transducer further in stream,  back (trailing edge) almost on a 40 degree angle - and it helped.  Would not have tried it personally but is a lot better.
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote letsgetem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2015 at 3:18pm
letsgetem View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Mine (lowrance elite-7 HDI) - two points - its on right of motor
- its affected adversely by prop wash; know because when I change the motor trim, it changes (trim motor in , so bow lower, it gets better) - suggest try changing trim, see if it changes the sonar display
- and, when the transducer moves up at the back, it makes the display worse. ie move down at the back to improve sonar. The lowrance trannie mount is weak, and lets it kick up in rough sea.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MikeAqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2015 at 4:46pm
MikeAqua View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

The starboard side is where manufacturers (e.g. Airmar) recommend installing transducers. It's the side the prop is descending on so disturbed water is thrown down, not up toward the transducer face.

That's the theory anyway ...

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote petethemeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2015 at 8:44pm
petethemeat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Most Ali hulls have the outboard on a "pod" that protrudes well behind the hull so I'm not sure this matters too much. I have a transducer on each side and don't notice any differences.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ofthesea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2015 at 10:00pm
ofthesea View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Yes I have an elite 7 HDI and it's on port with no problems. Yes outboard is on a pod arrangement. The transducer is on a metal spring loaded bracket and lined up using a straight edge to be only just below the hull line. No problems.
What type of boat?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MikeAqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2015 at 8:27am
MikeAqua View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Interesting. 

I have pod mounted outboards on my boat.  When there was a transducer on the port side it was problematic, and moving to stbd  side resolved. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2015 at 9:15am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The instruction book usually says  starboard side of the prop and also has a recommended distance from the rear of the prop and/ or distance from the center of the boat....
They also mention to9 look up under the hull forward , for any ribs , stringers or defects in the hull that could cause turbulence that could be directed down around the transducer
And take particular note of any ribs that start at the bow and end mid hull that could trap air under the boat.
Most instruction books say to take a straight edge off the bottom of the hull line on the higher side...to the middle of the transducer pickup boat end ....and the angle down has the trailing end top on this line.

That is the start point...u may have to move mount side ways a bit... hull defects/ ribs trapping air etc
And experiment with slight angles at different speeds, and height a couple mm.

Spray issues
If u have a deepish V hull....and the transducer is mounted correct height on the upper edge... that logically puts the rest of the transducer deeper....which then can cause excessive tail/ spray , that gets dropped on the engine and sucked back into the boat at speed... espec if have a bimmini up or cabin .. if it is not mounted under a pod.
I have this issue .. no pod.... stern mounted motor / 'ducer
simply taking a suitable sized plastic tray, chop in 1/2, mount over the transducer between the stern and transducer mount.

Another suggestion is get on to trademe and go around a few boat yards.. look where others mount on your type of boat... in particular where there are signs of having been mounted and moved... maybe moved to get it to work better.
If u do not have the instructions to mount.. do a google search.. they can be downloaded for all the brands I looked at ....
They all seem to be very basically the same.. this is an old huminbird