Plastic Boats

Page  123 6>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Plastic Boats
    Posted: 14 Apr 2015 at 9:47am
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Was thinking today, as visiting Snappa Geoff later in week what he has done to his Mac 360 to fit out as a fishing weapon? 
Here's a picture of mine to start the topic - this was setup by me in 2013 to weather Manukau Harbour - 3.6m long and as I have expected have been caught out in nasty tidal chops 3 or 4 times now and it has handled it easily. I use this in harbour and my Mac 420 (lower picture) for crossing the bar.  Cheers
Mac 420 2006
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2015 at 10:18pm
OneWayTraffic View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Smartwaves welcome here? I've done/am doing a few things to mine.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2015 at 6:56am
Titanium
Titanium

Good idea One Way Traffic - have edited topic.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2015 at 10:54am
Titanium
Titanium

Heres a picture of inside front of Mac 360 - setup for a bit of protection I use tacho for speed indication and fish finder set to be viewed easily sitting or standing & anchor setup at front as anchoring in channels. 
I like forward steer in a boat, is better when choppy as keeps front down.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote HB_fishdive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2015 at 7:54pm
HB_fishdive View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I'm onto my second mac now, started with a 360 and upgraded to a 420 a few years ago. I left the 360 pretty simple only adding a bilge pump, nav lights and a cheap lowrance sounder. It was a good little dive/fishing boat but I was limited with it here in HawkesBay as a lot of the good inshore fishing is over 20kms from the ramp. the 420 is great, only 2 feet longer but its a lot more boat. It had the bimini and a 50ltr underfloor tank fitted when I brought it. I've since installed a HDS-7, livebait tank, full lighting - strip lighting up front, eagle eyes, flood/under water lights etc, outriggers  and a few other small things. I want to get full clears fitted as in a quartering/head sea its still a wet bas#@%d.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2015 at 8:07pm
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Funny you should mention that HB, I was going to ask if the reputation MAC's have for being quite wet boats was true.  Apparently it isLOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote HB_fishdive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2015 at 8:22pm
Silver
Silver

It's nothing a good jacket and the diving mask can't fix but in all seriousness for the price I think they are a great boat and always feel safe in all but the biggest following seas
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2015 at 5:59pm
Titanium
Titanium

HB_fishdive - did not know you could get an internal fuel tank. 
My neighbour purchased a 2014 Mac420 and they have changed (I think it was in 2013) design so chines are now scalloped out so water is redirected back and down rather than out sides and spraying into boat - not explaining very well but if you see one you will see what I mean.  I don't find it much of a problem except in certain sea/wind conditions. 
I replaced original canopy which was designed by previous owner - did not like as black areas were to wide obscuring vision and front large window could be folded up but was one piece that did not work very well as was either all up or down.  Looked a but funny/clumsy too.
Hers is new canopy design made on my boat by West Akld Upholstery utilising existing frame but recovered - there are 2 "windows" in front that can be fully or partially lowered.  If rough can drop top part on my side and see easily - am often out in Manukau Harbour and wind against tide gets pretty rough at times.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote HB_fishdive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2015 at 6:28pm
Silver
Silver

That's a nice looking canopy, would be nice in behind that when the winds up. Yeah having the underfloor tank is great, it frees up a lot of space in the cockpit. It's a custom made tank that runs down the center channel from the anchor back to the battery box
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2015 at 6:39pm
Titanium
Titanium

Have you got any closeup  interior shots of your boat HB_fishdive?

Heres instrument cluster on mine - note plastic covers to keep water off - with new canopy probably don't need covers anymore... 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2015 at 10:50pm
Platinum
Platinum

I have a Smartwave 3500 dinghy and since buying it I have:

Replaced the old 15hp two stroke with a new batteryless efi 20hp four stroke. Starts first or second pull everytime.

Put a spare tire on the trailer, fixed to a hub so I can use it as a jockey for beach launching.

I have just fixed dinghy dolly wheels to it. Launching off Manu bay the boat was getting scratched up by the surge. 

The wheels themselves are nylon and the swing arms are stainless steel about 2mm thick. I had a local plastic welder weld 10mm polyethylene plates to the back to fix them to, so I haven't drilled any other holes in my transom. 

They swing under the transom, and lock into place. I was considering a pair of beachmasters but thought these the better fit to my boat. 

Cost $220 plus $110 for the welding. Used some cheap zinc coated bolts to attach, but if they start to rust I'll replace with stainless steel bolts. 

The plan is, when solo launching, to stop on the ramp three metres short of the water and drop the boat off the trailer onto the ramp. Then park the car, return, lift and wheel to the water. 

Returning, I can drop the wheels short of the ramp, put the outboard in shallow water mode, so the wheels hit bottom before the prop does, and then try to lift the boat clear of the water. Then quick run to pick up car and use the winch to roll boat onto trailer directly from the ramp. At least that's the idea.  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ROCKSTARS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2015 at 7:11am
ROCKSTARS View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Great idea looks like a lot of thought has gone Ito that.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2015 at 7:16am
Titanium
Titanium

Another interesting idea One Way - I saw your post a while back about front dolly wheel on trailer - using a spare trailer wheel as dolly meant it did not bury and you had a spare if a puncture.
The wheels at back of your boat looks like will fold up if a wave picks boat and dumps you back on sand  or do they lock down?
I reckon Snappa Geoff would be into that launching off West Coast beach in Mokau though wheels would have to fatter I imagine - is the sand you usually launch on pretty firm?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2015 at 9:58am
Capt Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I like the plastic boats.....had a couple of MacBoat 360s myself, made a great one-to-two man trout fishing, estuary boat. Still have one in the solomons for messing about in the sand flats, and another I gave to my niece Phyllis as the solomons version of a runabout car lol, a little 360 CC thingie, which she loves.
Up there as well I have a polycraft 455 CC, been up there now for....hell, at least a decade I guess, still going strong. The good thing about the plastic is that barnacles and crap do not build up on it, so it doesn't need careening or anti fouling, which is very good as it lives on a mooring.
And plastic boats are SOOO easy to work on! 😊
It is only my overwhelming natural humility that mars my perfection.

Captain Asparagus, Superhero, Adventurer.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2015 at 3:41pm
Platinum
Platinum

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/boats-marine/parts-accessories/other/auction-874822067.htm

The wheels lock down, and also up. There's a spring loaded pin which fits into a notch.

Assuming the spring is stainless I can't see anything breaking as they are very robust. By rotating forward they are supposed to balance the motor against the boat, but due to the Smartwaves overhang at the back that doesn't work so well.

I can lift the boat and roll by myself though, at least on flat ground. 

Down the ramp should be no problem, and going up I don't need to wheel it the whole way, just get it out of the surge. The wheels will lift the back as well, so the water should pass under rather than floating the boat. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gregvisser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2015 at 3:53pm
gregvisser View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by OneWayTraffic OneWayTraffic wrote:

I have a Smartwave 3500 dinghy and since buying it I have:

Replaced the old 15hp two stroke with a new batteryless efi 20hp four stroke. Starts first or second pull everytime.

Put a spare tire on the trailer, fixed to a hub so I can use it as a jockey for beach launching.

I have just fixed dinghy dolly wheels to it. Launching off Manu bay the boat was getting scratched up by the surge. 

The wheels themselves are nylon and the swing arms are stainless steel about 2mm thick. I had a local plastic welder weld 10mm polyethylene plates to the back to fix them to, so I haven't drilled any other holes in my transom. 

They swing under the transom, and lock into place. I was considering a pair of beachmasters but thought these the better fit to my boat. 

Cost $220 plus $110 for the welding. Used some cheap zinc coated bolts to attach, but if they start to rust I'll replace with stainless steel bolts. 

The plan is, when solo launching, to stop on the ramp three metres short of the water and drop the boat off the trailer onto the ramp. Then park the car, return, lift and wheel to the water. 

Returning, I can drop the wheels short of the ramp, put the outboard in shallow water mode, so the wheels hit bottom before the prop does, and then try to lift the boat clear of the water. Then quick run to pick up car and use the winch to roll boat onto trailer directly from the ramp. At least that's the idea.  

Sealegs for a plastic boat! LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2015 at 4:24pm
Titanium
Titanium

Damn sight cheaper than sealegs to!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2015 at 4:53pm
Platinum
Platinum

Though I'd say that this is about the limit in terms of weight. I could get a kayak trolley for the front though if I wanted to.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2015 at 5:48pm
feeder View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

This used to be our harbour boat, sold (more or less gave) it to my daughter and her partner, it was a standard Mac 360, Dimitri put a lot of work into making it as it looks now, it was a wet boat but the clears and bow rail fixed that problem, it's a neat little craft now, if you are in Kerikeri maybe you will come across it scooting about in the inlet.
The only bar to frequent is the Kawhia Bar
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2015 at 6:21pm
Titanium
Titanium

Wow beautiful Mac 360 feeder!
Capt Asparagus how about a few shots of your Mac 360s with Macs wife driving?  
Page  123 6>