Ramp And Water Access Data Base

Page  <1 678910>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote brmbrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2011 at 9:42pm
brmbrm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by NZfrnd NZfrnd wrote:

i was travelling from northshore to south and couldnt help myself to have a peak in westhaven marina and drool at all those expensive yachts there..i thought the ramp there was pretty good to launch and retrieve even with an ordinary car (not a 4x4). the parking there will be a little expensive, but i guess if you want to have a few hours of fun in and around the harbour bridge, this would work out cheaper than landing the boat somewhere else and driving there.

I'd say Westhaven was fine pretty much all tides, all states, alyhouth a bit slippery low water. Easy in all weather, but you have to pay ($10 all day parking, $2 launch, $2 retrieve i think)

I think the thread is a great idea and thanks for your contributions, esp Capt Sensible.

Am planning a week at Tairua - OK, I can see the ramps on Google earth, but any info on their states, tides etc very welcome, plus of course some decent fishing spots, especially your super-secrte things Wink.

OK, just someting to get me started would help!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote NZfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2011 at 12:18am
NZfrnd View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

i recently launched my boat for the first time from half moon bay last week. i was a bit skeptical about my car's (a 2 litre nissan primera s/w) ability to pull the boat back on, but she didnt break a sweat doing so. i went on a week day, and there were parking available when i went out, (around 10 am) and when we returned, (around 1:30 i guess) the parking was full. apart from the parking, i think it is a pretty good place to launch the boat. i am told its a nightmare on a weekend though.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote AutoFish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2012 at 10:10pm
AutoFish View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

HI guys great thread, has anyone got any info for launching at riversdale beach. cheers
Winners never quit and quitters never win.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote hebman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2012 at 10:20pm
hebman View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi, great thread.  I've been looking for ramp information for the lower  Ruamahanga but can't find anything - is it too shallow to boat from the Martinborough bridge, is there a better ramp than the diversion on the east-west road (got stuck trying to launch there) - any tips greatly received.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Keeweechris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2012 at 12:16pm
Keeweechris View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Does anyone have any info on the little ramp at the end of Kerikeri Inlet rd? I am thinking of trying out of there with my small dinghy over easter but can't remember what the ramp is like. Thanks
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bossco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2012 at 12:36pm
Bossco View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

It's not really a ramp, just gives you access onto the beach. Enough turning space for small boats, it's a big rugged so a 4wd with extra clearance helps.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wanda_Ra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2012 at 10:03am
Wanda_Ra View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Captain Sensible Captain Sensible wrote:

There we go ... if anyone is interested, I've tabulated all the information on this forum into a pdf purely for my own benefit, but I thought that I'd be nice and share - it can be downloaded from ... (2.02MB)....
Cheers - Andy

Try to access the links on the widibank pdf page, it keeps coming up as saying the trust manager has it in safe mode ?? and cannot access it.
If you think you are too small to make a difference,try sleeping with a mosquito in your tent.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Grunta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2012 at 11:36am
Grunta View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

I've uploaded to our servers and you can view and download Andy's summary here
Online...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wanda_Ra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2012 at 3:21pm
Wanda_Ra View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks Grunta Thumbs Up
If you think you are too small to make a difference,try sleeping with a mosquito in your tent.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jme. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2012 at 10:07am
Jme. View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Has anyone launched from Torpedo Bay boat ramp (Devonport), keen on any tips/advice?

I understand it's not good at full low tide, what is the minimum tide e.g. 1/4, 1/3, 1/2, etc for launch/retrieval off the ramp without having unhitch trailer, etc are there particular conditions which make this ramp no good to use.

Also if anyone has any info on other ramps on he shore, Takapuna, Milford, Caster Bay, etc I'd be keen to hear any tips advice and add them to Andy's PDF.

I have over the last month or so been using Narrowneck boat ramp. I find it pretty good all tides, although watch for the rocks directly behind and to the right (looking out) at low tide. You are best to use a 4x4 to avoid any drama. Parking early morning and evening no problem, but can get quite busy with beach goers during the day, particularly on the weekends. Only thing to watch for is the onshore wind/swell/waves when over 10knts(not sure of correct terminology) but found that can be a real painful, potentially damaging to your boat if not careful retreiving in those conditions. Hence I'm thinking maybe Torpedo bay maybe more sheltered in those conditions, and still not to far to get out to Motuihe, etc

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Speedball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2012 at 10:40am
Speedball View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hey guys does anyone know the condition of the matai bay downramp onto the beach at the moment?
 ive seen it get worse over my last two trips there, the last time was in december. does anyone know if they've dumped more gravel? the van only just made it up last time.. cheeers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bounty Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2012 at 11:58pm
Bounty Hunter View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Speedball Speedball wrote:

Hey guys does anyone know the condition of the matai bay downramp onto the beach at the moment?
 ive seen it get worse over my last two trips there, the last time was in december. does anyone know if they've dumped more gravel? the van only just made it up last time.. cheeers

was in good shape a few weeks ago
No disintegrations!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Speedball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2012 at 9:59pm
Speedball View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

awesome thanks mate!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jackel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2012 at 12:10pm
jackel View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hi all, has anyone got any pics and/or info on the Army Bay, Whangaparaoa ramp. Winds to avoid and suitability for launching a 15 foot tinny solo. Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote johnybegood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2012 at 12:26pm
johnybegood View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hey Jackel.
From my experience we launch our 18ft ali at Army bay any tide, High tide being nicer as the car doesn't get wet. Low tide is sweet as the sand seems really firm...
RE the wind, I guess anything from NW to NE is going to be a bit hard, we always launch there when we know Gulf Harbor is going to be busy or when we want a comfy run along that side of the peninsula. Also we fished about 2km off Army bay last week and the birds and dolphins were everywhere.

Launching by yourself may make it a bit harder, the ramps just wide enough for 2 if the boats are small enough. I'd be unhooking the boat, and throwing over the anchor in half a metre of water then parking the car etc. would suck if it were to get stuck on the outgoing...
I just want to jig
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jackel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2012 at 12:31pm
jackel View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks JBG, hopefully will be up there sat or sunday. I'm hoping to get amoungst those birds, probably just need to throw caution to the wind and give it a crack. Can I launch without getting the two wheel drive car onto the sand (at low tide)? CHeers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sufishent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2012 at 4:37pm
Sufishent View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I've launched my 15" tinny solo there. Car is a 2WD. The ramp is really only useful at high tide so you will definitely need to go onto the beach at low tide. The sand is usually pretty firm but can get very soft right at the water line. I always park in the car park and go for a quick walk to check sand firmness before I drive onto the beach.

If beach launching I uncouple the boat from the car and push the trailer/boat in manually - there's usually a bit of slope and that helps get a bit of momentum and do not stop pushing until you're at the right depth to launch your boat. I drop the pick and secure the boat, couple the trailer to car then go and park the car and trailer.

If I retrieve from the beach it's pretty much the reverse of above - but the boat/trailer is too heavy to push out solo so I tow it out with a strap (you could use anchor warp) until the trailer is back on firm sand. 

I won't go anywhere near the place for a solo launch if there's any wind out of the north.
You can never have enough fishing tackle
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ascot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2013 at 8:42pm
Ascot View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi guys,

Great thread!

Does anyone have info on Cooks Beach, Purangi Rd I think it is?  From what I can tell the ramp looks ok, mainly wondering about getting in and out of the estuary.  Is it clearly marked?  Accessible at low tide?

Boat is a Haines 535, towing with a 2WD ute.

Cheers,

Matt
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishabunga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2013 at 10:49pm
Fishabunga View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Last time i was down there it was pretty silted up at the entrance to the river and it is not marked.  I think you would be hard pushed to get through at low tide it is not an easy one to navigate. The ramp itself is not bad but i would avoid low tide.  If the main beach is firm a beach launch is possible on a good day.  I would suggest that if you can talk to some locals they will be able to fill you in a bit more.
FISH FIGHT AOTEAROA THE PEOPLES PROTEST
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ascot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2013 at 8:05am
Ascot View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks mate.

Heading down to Hahei in two weeks time, never taken the boat out from there though.  Hopefully there are some friendly locals who can give me a steer.

Matt
Page  <1 678910>