2 stroke Parsun

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Zambezi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2 stroke Parsun
    Posted: 16 Dec 2009 at 1:03pm
Zambezi View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

After a bit of a wobbly I'm back on track for a boat. 

And am gunning for a centre console rib.

I got quotes on 2 engines

A 30 hp 2 stroke yammy and a 2 stroke 40hp Parsun.

I've never heard of Parsun but it comes in cheaper then the yammy.  Has anyone used these before? reckon I'll pay for it later?
A man’s comfort in life can be measured by the quality of the toilet paper he uses to wipe his arse.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2009 at 1:11pm
Bender View Drop Down
Life Member
Life Member

A what?

Maybe this is your answer. I Googled it and the .com website lists the 25hp as the biggest but (and I've cut and pasted this straight off the website): We do not recommend the purchase of these models at this time.
Nobody has ever come up with a great idea after a second bottle of water.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Zambezi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2009 at 1:13pm
Zambezi View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

http://https://www.parsunengines.com/30-40HP_OUTBOARDS.html

Missed putting that link in.  They're aussie.  what site did you find?
A man’s comfort in life can be measured by the quality of the toilet paper he uses to wipe his arse.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RC1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2009 at 9:38pm
RC1 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

the parsun outboard will be a force in years to come, they do go well, but they do not have any after sales service and back up support, they will create competition which will bring down the price of the jap engines, I would buy a yamaha because of the warranty, after sales support and reliability, you pay for what you get, the parsun is made in china so the reliability of the parsun/sail  will be questioned, but they are getting better, just like the early jap engines, shi....ttt, but look to them in 10 years I reckon they will be good
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2009 at 10:00pm
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

RC1 - is Parsun also Sail? If so, I believe that Yamaha 'sold' them the designs of their older 2 stroke engines at the low HP ratings and these are basically Chinese built Yamaha's, and parts are interchangeable. As for quality of build though, I would doubt that you are getting Yamaha quality. Maybe someone here can confirm the Yamaha design link?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RC1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2009 at 11:02pm
RC1 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

the management at sail had split so they went their seperate ways, one makes sail the other makes parsun so they are different but they are made in the same factory from what ive heard from a reliable source, they are making steadecraft boats there as well. They are a copy of older yamaha models and the parts are interchangeable, not sure what they are like for corrosion, but ive seen and worked on them, the engines look good, i would be worried about the electrics, they look very cheap and not made very well, but they will get better im sure and will be a force in the future.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RC1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2009 at 11:04pm
RC1 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

the parsun seem to be a lot better quality than sail
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Zambezi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2009 at 7:03am
Zambezi View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hmmmmmm the parsun in question comes with a 2 year warrenty,  and from all account yes it is an older yammy 2 stroke copy.

I've found more reviews that rate them as not just another "made in china" product from people who have used/worked on them then I have found people who have bought them and had issues.

Still on the fence. 2.8k more for a 30hp yammy and 5.5k for a 40hp parsun

more hmmmmmmmmmmm
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dagwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2009 at 9:15am
Dagwood View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Doubt if you could compare the resale of a Parsun to a Yamaha. Personally that, the support and nationwide backup would make the decision for me.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2009 at 12:00pm
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

How about looking for a reasonably new used Yamaha. Get the real thing, but without the bigger numbers.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Zambezi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2009 at 3:14pm
Zambezi View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Lol I never thought of that.  And turns out I have more time to think about the engine anyway so will look into it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote STRAMP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2010 at 1:10pm
STRAMP View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi All
Regarding all the Parsun outboard questions, and replies. We at Hurricane Products have been the importer for Sail for 2 years and in August 2009 switched to Parsun. We had very little problems with Sail , but after a lot of thought and  visit to the Parsun factory we made the decision the switch. The Factories are completely different and, yes Parsun is a lot better quality. Yes there is a New Zealand dealer net work , so all your servicing concerns are covered and yes they come with 2 years warranty and are copies of Yamaha, so our parts are way better buying and will fit either. All info is on our webb site www.hurricaneproducts.co.nz, or contact me re any questions 06 7591990
Regards Jeff Strampel : Sales and Marketing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lemmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2015 at 8:10pm
lemmy View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Sorry to dredge up an old thread but just wondering if anyone on here has had any experience with the 90 Parsun Two stroke ,?
I,m looking at re powering a Stabi 509 which currently has a 60 Merc on too a 90 two stroke Yamaha ,and was told these Chinese motors  , Parsun, waterman or Sail 90 ,s are just a copy of the Yamaha and are pretty good .
I,m thinking if I can get one cheap enough I can keep my 60 Merc instead of Trading it and set up another boat for up North .